  From: Jorge Navarro López
  To: fis@listas.unizar.es
  Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:34 PM
  Subject: [Fis] Tactilizing processing

  Dear FIS people,
  <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]--><!--[endif]-->

  As a new comer to Systems Biology and graduated in Chemical Engineering, I
can say little (and understand only a little bit) about the fluctuon model. May
I say that personally I find far more interesting the pioneering ideas of M.
Conrad on molecular bio-computing, which were also inspired by his "vertical"
view of the information flows. For instance, nowadays protein complexes are
recognized as a fundamental aspect of the proteome. About this matter, some FIS
people will enjoy the following abstract:

  "Proteins and other macromolecules may be viewed as shape-based (or tactile)
pattern recognizers. Biological cells exploit this inherent capability by
transducing macroscopic signal patterns impinging on the external membrane to
microscopic patterns at the molecular level, via second messengers. The
parallelism inherent in the wave function description of these microscale
processes in effect serves to increase the computing power of molecular
computing systems as compared to macroscopic analogs. The conversion and
recognition process is highly reminiscent of measurement. The linking role of
second messengers allows macroscopic signals to set the state of the cell (in
analogy to state preparation), while enzymatic readout and control of cellular
behavior is an amplification process that corresponds to measurement of the
microstate at a later point of time. Since the standard time evolution
equations are reversible and unitary, while measurement is not, it is
conceivable that the study of molecular computing will lead to new insights
into the relation between the microworld and the macroworld. The model
presented suggests that projection processes that are masked in ordinary
laboratory systems are brought to macroscopic significance by the highly
nonlinear chain of amplification events in the biological cell."

  Quantum mechanics and molecular computing: Mutual implications
  Michael Conrad
  DOI: 10.1002/qua.560340725
  International Journal of Quantum Chemistry
  Supplement: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Quantum Biology and
Quantum Pharmacology
  Volume 34, Issue S15, pages 287-301, 12/19 March 1988

  Best wishes!!!!

  Jorge