Mark Burch and I call a similar idea rhythmic entrainment. There was an article in Symmmetry Vol. 9, Nos. 2-4 1998: Order From Rhythmic Entrainment and the Origin of Levels Through Dissipation

It would be on my web site, but that is currently not functioning due to University attempts at imposing  uniformity and control.

John

At 09:02 AM 01/11/2010, Joseph Brenner wrote:
Dear Bob and Stan,

I also find myself in agreement with you. Resonance is a very good term for
a form of reciprocal interaction that defines the entities capable of it.
This is what Lupasco called an "adequately contradictorial relation" that is
possible intra- and well as inter-level, intra-level for example in organic
molecules of certain types, or people. This is thus a general principle:
people resonate with some other people but not all . . .

Best,

Joseph

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Ulanowicz" <u...@umces.edu>
To: "Stanley N Salthe" <ssal...@binghamton.edu>
Cc: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Fis] Tactilizing processing

Quoting Stanley N Salthe <ssal...@binghamton.edu>:

> Bob -- I think that 'coupling over such a disparity in scale' is not
> really
> going on differently in biology either.  The only messages that could
> 'percolate upwards' in a material system would be those the higher
> level(s)
> are prepared to receive, in all cases.  This might allow information from
> smaller populations of lower scale entities to be detected.  But it would
> always be the larger scale system constructing some kind of ensemble
> information, or it would be ... magic!  Biology manages to get a greater
> uniformity (via genetic controls) of smaller scale populations, thus
> increasing the precision or definiteness of the lower scale 'messages',
> which are still a kind of 'mass action', but with clearer, more reliable
> and
> less muddy, 'colors'.
>
> STAN

Stan,

We agree 100% on this one. I have always qualified Prigogine's "order
through fluctuations" by pointing out that not just *any* perturbation
will change the dynamics of the system. (In the Prigogine scenario,
all perturbations are generic and homogeneous.) The system will only
respond to those perturbations (for better or worse) that resonate
with the configuration of the larger system.

Cheers,
Bob

Professor John Collier, Acting HoS  and Acting Deputy HoS
               colli...@ukzn.ac.za
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292       F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://www.ukzn.ac.za/undphil/collier/index.html