The question can be put even so:

Is there information only when the recipient is (or it is perceived) by a conscious human being?  (in a weaker form: by a sensitive, brain-equipped animal?)
or
Can we speak about information between inanimate objects as well? (e.g., when a valence electron of an atom "feels" the electric field of the electron-shell of a nearby other atom.)
Depending on the answers on the above questions, then we can ask, whether can we speak about information on "there is a valence electron", when there is no other atom at Coulomb-range to which this data were conveyed?
In general: is information a subjective category, or independent of whether it was perceived by somebody/something?

(Further, see my paper in "Information" FIS-Beijing issue, this summer.)

Regards,
Gyuri