2011/12/9  <m...@aiu.ac.jp>:
> Dear all,
> I teach every year (this fall fourth time) a general education
> course Information Science for freshmen and sophomores which
> has as its main objective to present not an existing
> discipline, but a potential unified approach to study complex
> issues related to globalization. Globalization is a leitmotif
> of the curriculum at our university. I am trying to show that
> the concept of information, although not very clearly defined
> yet, can be useful in  dealing with several fundamental
> problems for the future of humanity. I am giving short and
> very general expositions of topics such as, language and other
> forms of communication, telecommunication, cryptography,
> genetics, life and organism, computation. Then we are trying
> to identify what makes the mechanisms involved
> similar, and the expected answer is "information". I am
> referring to the five great metaphors in the history of
> Western Thought, which were used to model reality: Human
> organism (as microcosm to explain functioning of macrocosm in
> medieval interpretations of neoplatonism), mechanical clock,
> steam machine, telecommunication, computer. In each case, I am
> showing the presence of the intuitive concept of information.
> Finally, I am presenting analysis of global warming,
> pandemics, and other threats to humanity from the unified
> perspective of information.
> The biggest problem for me is to find materials for students
> which are not exceedingly detailed and difficult, but also not
> trivial. Do you have any suggestions?
> Regards,
> Marcin

 Dear Colleagues,

On the basis of papers [1-7] I designed course “Physical informatics”,
focused primarily on graduate students and masters.
The basic course content:
1. General provisions. Background information about the information
and informatics.
2. The subject of physical informatics.
3. Classes of physical systems and their characteristics.
4. Information characteristics of physical systems and methods for
their determination.
•Information entropy: the characteristic obserables and states of
quantum systems, a measure of complexity of systems.
•Information divergence: a heterogeneity measure.
•Joint information entropy: the characteristic of unitary transformations.
•The mutual information: the characteristic of interaction of the
linked (entanglement) systems.
•The Differential information capacity -  characteristic of volume of
information per unit mass.
5. The laws of informatics
•The law of simplicity of complex systems.
•The law of uncertainty (information) conservation.
•The law of finiteness of complex systems characteristics.
•The law of necessary variety by W. Ashby. 
•The theorem of K. Gödel.
•Other laws of informatics.
6. The physical laws as consequence of information laws (laws of informatics).
7. Methodology assessment and evaluation of information
characteristics of fundamental and elementary particles, atoms,
molecules, gases, liquids, solids, planets, stars, galaxies and the
universe as a whole.
8. Informational constraints on the formation, development and
interconversion of physical systems.
9. Information system for calculating the characteristics of physical systems.
10. Features of researches by information methods of chemical and
biological systems.
11. The forms of the organization of the researches.
12. The main objectives for further research.
13. Conclusion
14. The application.
A.1. The primary information needed from physics, chemistry, and biology.
A.2. The necessary information from information theory.
A.3.Test Questions and exercise.
Literature.
1. Gurevich I.M. The laws of informatics - the basis of research and
design of complex communications and control systems. Manual. TSOONTI
"Ecos". M. 1989. 60 p.
2. Gurevich I.M. "The laws of informatics - the basis of the structure
and knowledge of complex systems." - M. "Antiqua", 2003.
3. Gurevich I.M. "The laws of informatics - the basis of the structure
and knowledge of complex systems." Second edition refined and updated.
M. "Torus Press." 2007. 400 p.
4. Gurevich I.M. Assessment of the main characteristics of the
information universe. Information Technology. № 12. Application. 2008.
32.
5. Gurevich I.M. Information characteristics of physical systems. "The
11th FORMAT". Moscow. "Cypress". Sevastopol. 2009. 170 p.
6. Gurevich I.M. Information characteristics of physical systems.
Second edition refined and updated. "Cypress". Sevastopol. 2010. 260
p.
7. Gurevich I.M. Information as a universal heterogeneity. Information
Technology. № 4. M. 2010. Pp. 66-74.
8. Gurevich I.M. Basic information characteristics of physical,
chemical and biological systems. Modern Trends in Theoretical and
Applied Biophysics, Physics and Chemistry. BPPC - 2010.
Vol. 1. Common Questions of Physics and Chemistry: materials of VI
International science-technical conference, SevNTU. Sevastopol, pp.
83-86.

Dear Colleagues, now I have a page on the site  IPI RAN:
http://www.ipiran.ru/info/?gurevich_eng.
I'd be glad if you look at it.

With the best wishes.
Igor Gurevich