On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 11 May 2012, at 13:10, Hector Zenil wrote:
>
> Information that readers may find interesting:
>

> Stephen Wolfram has written the first in a series of blogs posts about
>
> NKS titled "It's Been 10 Years; What's Happened with A New Kind of
>
> Science?": http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2012/05/its-been-10-years-whats-happened-with-a-new-kind-of-science/
>

> Stephen will also be hosting an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Reddit, where
>
> he will be taking questions  about NKS and his research program on
>
> Monday, May 14 at 3pm EST.
>

> I think it is a good opportunity to start an interesting discussion
>
> about several topics, including of course information and computation.
>

> It looks like advertising for a type of universal system, the cellular
> automata.

Coincidently, Wolfram wrote today
(http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2012/05/living-a-paradigm-shift-looking-back-on-reactions-to-a-new-kind-of-science/):

"Looking through reviews, there are some other common themes. One is
that A New Kind of Science is a book about cellular automata—or worse,
about the idea (not in fact suggested in the book at all) that our
whole universe is a giant cellular automaton. For sure, cellular
automata are great, visually strong, examples for lots of phenomena I
discuss. But after about page 50 (out of 1280), cellular automata no
longer take center stage—and notably are not the type of system I
discuss in the book as possible models for fundamental physics."

People keep repeating what other say about others... (in this case,
that his view is all about cellular automata).

> Digital physics implies computationalism, but if you take the 1/3 person
> points of view distinction into account, computationalism entails a non
> digital physics. So digital physics is conceptually erroneous.
>
> See the references in my URL for a proof of that statement. You need only
> Church's Turing thesis, and the assumption that consciousness is invariant
> for *some* digital transformation (which follows from computationalism).
>
> This does not preclude that cellular automaton are very interesting, and can
> have many applications, but it is not clear to make it into a new science.
> We want to ask what about that science is, for it does not seem to address
> the most fundamental questions.

Then perhaps you can ask him next Monday on his Reedit session. I
think he has some concerns about the place of observers in a digital
world scenario.

As for computationalism, he as I do, think that the question is about
physics, the answer won't come therefore from a model of math or
computation.