Dear Xueshan - re Nalewajski's conjecture that molecular systems have
information I am skeptical. The word information originated with the idea of
forming the mind according to the OED. Information as far as I am concerned
requires a sentient being to receive and understand it. Molecules and atoms
react to forces not information. They have no idea of the forces acting on
them. They are not informed as they have no sentience that can be informed.
Information requires an interpretant for which the signal has meaning.
Shannon's  information theory is merely signal theory as all he is concerned
with is how well a set of symbols or a signal are transmitted from the sender
to the receiver. The ability of the receiver to decipher the signal or
interpret the signal  has no bearing on the reception of Shannon information.
Shannon information has nothing to do with meaning. A set of random numbers has
the maximum amount of Shannon information and yet has no meaning. If my set of
symbols have meaning for you, whether or not you agree with the premise they
represent, then they are information. As for a molecule or even a flower or a
penguin they are not information. In other words information has to inform as a
grammatical analysis of the word information implies. A representation
represents, a contradiction contradicts, a saturation saturates and in general
an "X"tion "X"es and therefore information informs or at least has the
capability of informing. So while a text in the Basque or Albanian languages
might not inform me because of my inability with these languages they are
capable of informing those familiar with the Basque and Albanian languages
respectively and are therefore informaton. A random set of letters cannot
inform anyone yet they have maximum Shannon information. Information is a
tricky thing.

This line of thought raises the question of whether or not DNA is information.
DNA does not inform a sentient being yet it does catalyze and hence instructs
how RNA is produced which in turn catalyzes and instructs how proteins are
created which in turn gives rise to bodily functions. Therefore we suggested
that DNA represents a different form of information from Shannon information
which we called biotic or instructional information. The argument can be found
in the paper  Propagating of Organization: An Inquiry by Stuart Kauffman,
Robert K. Logan, Robert Este, Randy Goebel, David Hobill and Ilya Smulevich.
published in 2007 in Biology and Philosophy 23: 27-45. I am happy to share this
paper with anyone requesting it.

Bob Logan

On 2013-04-14, at 9:59 PM, Xueshan Yan wrote:

> Dear Michel,
>
> Thank you!
>
> I am very familiar with your FIS 2005 website long before.
>
> Have you read the Polish chemist Nalewajski's book:
> Information theory of molecular systems (Elsevier, 2006), I
> really want to know if there are INFORMATON that play a role
> between two atoms, or two molecules, or two supramolecules
> as Jean-Marie Lehn said.
>
> As to FIS 2005, I need every review about all four FIS
> conferences held in Madrid, Vienna, Paris, and Beijing, but
> only a general review about FIS 2005 not be given by people
> so far.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Xueshan
> 9:59, April 15, 2013      Peking University

Robert K. Logan
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan