________________________________
Dear Hans and FIS colleagues,

Thanks for the elegant text! It marks a great beginning for the FIS tradition
of celebrating a Lecture with the New Year!

Not being very conversant with QM interpretations let me restrict myself to
general aspects of QBism that grab my attention. First, about the
reinterpretation of the relationship between subject and object. In my own
views, as discussed in the recent Xian meeting, self-production and
communication (signaling) should go hand with hand in the definition of the
basic informational entities. The way these two aspects interlock and how
inferences are made by the informational entity strongly reminds me the
reappraisal of human experience proposed by QBism. How should we contemplate
the necessarily social dimension of human knowledge? The quotations in the text
and those from Schrodinger and Freud in Ref. 2 are excellent. About that, in
middle 90's I worked (following maverick K.P. Collins) on "the automatization
of knowledge within central nervous systems". I think some of those ideas are
still valid and in strong sync with these Bayesian inspired views. The
intrinsic duality of knowledge was one of the outcomes.

Information in QM, whatever the interpretation, becomes itself a big word.
Technically, Quantum Information Science has become a pan-inclusive term also
encompassing Q Computing. Let me put a minor question then: would "QBism"
become the most natural framework for "Qbitsm"? Or perhaps the "subjective"
understanding of qubits might not be totally compatible with their applied use
in quite definite computations? But it is really a minor thing. What I most
like of this new quantum approach is the radicalism regarding meaning,
experience, knowledge, science... This is good news for the people who sees
information science as an occasion to contemplate anew the relationship of the
individual with the increasing stock of knowledge accumulated by our
civilization, where the ratio of our individual experience to the total is
acceleratedly approaching zero!, and where the blind spots of collective
intelligence are shining in too many areas of global life... It is healthy that
the explicit limitation of the individual is also a message contained in QBism,
at least in my understanding --seemingly, one of the proponents of QBism,
Robert Spekkens, has developed some of the fundamental characteristics of
QTheory by imposing a "knowledge balance principle" on the bits that a limited
observer can exchange with its environment.

In comparison with other interpretations, there is QBism's good sense (Occam's
razor) in not "multiplying the universes" just to save a theory, like the
many-worlds interpretation does. Probably, as John says, there is something
visceral in how realist and antirealist positions are taken, or in how the
Bayesian or the frequentist approach to probability are taken. In any case, we
have a lot to gain in information science by staying closer and cooperating
with our Q Information colleagues, particularly with this new QBism
interpretation.  Altough these topics are really difficult, we should try to
connect... at least I promise to re-read the references and get more to the
point during next weeks.

Thanks again for your brilliant opening lecture Hans, in the best style.
Hopefully there will be great continuators too in the coming years.

---Pedro