haha, woops, sorry about that Joe :)
Wonderful follow-up!

Best,
John

From: "joe brenner" <joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>
To: pr...@sfu.ca
Cc: fis@listas.unizar.es
Sent: Friday, 14 March, 2014 18:56:12
Subject: Re: Re: [Fis] fis Digest, Vol 581, Issue 8

Dear Colleagues,

John Collier is sufficiently well-known and respected in his fields not to mind that one less good comment is attributed to him and allow its author, namely me, to take the credit for it ;-).

John P.'s response, to MY question, then, was as broad as it was useful, bringing out a clear tension between IT and non-IT perspectives. The situation, the need for work on the 'nebulous concept' of intelligence is similar to that in the effort of some people, in China and elsewhere, to define an Intelligence Science as opposed to Artificial Intelligence. And was not the start of Information Science by Pedro and Michael Conrad in part as opposition to information as (just) technology?

As those familiar with my positions will know, I am much more interested in non-IT-mediated Collective Intelligence (NITCI), which I agree exists provided one takes a process standpoint which is focused not only on outcomes but 'upstream'. Here is where John P.'s reference to 'ability to perform' comes in for further analysis. In my conception, the existence of, and interaction between, collective and individual processes is not only possible but a basic logical and ontological feature of intelligence in general. Finally, although (showing my age), I would not have expected that it would be necessary to repeat that culture can exist independently of software, I was glad to see that a difference between them is acceptable.

One possible next step would be to define both Individual and Collective Intelligence in terms of the cognitive process of CREATIVITY. Absent this, the most powerful capability for Promethean outcomes will not be intelligence in my book.

Cheers,

Joseph