Dear all - my take on this post is that the question of whether physical
processes are information is like the question: Is there a sound if a tree
falls in the forest and no one is there to listen? This is like the Zen koan:
"what is the sound of one hand clapping" If no one is in the forest are the
trees information? Well for sure they are trees but as to whether or not they
are information that is strictly dependent on the point of view of the
respondent. For me they are just trees and here is why I think so. For me
information is about a process. The noun information relates to the verb
inform. If no one is being informed there is no information. In the same way
that if no one or thing is there being loved (verb) their is no love (noun). If
no one is engaged in the activity of loving (a verb) there is no love (a noun).
If there is no one being informed (a verb) then there is no information (a
noun). Now one can talk about an object or a phenomenon having the possibility
of informing someone which to my mind is potential information which is what I
would call the physical processes that take place in our universe. A book
written in Urdu is potential information because an Urdu reader can be informed
by it. For me as a non-Urdu speaker there is very little information other than
someone went to the trouble of writing out a text with Urdu letters and hence
there is probably information there for an Urdu speaker reasoning why would any
one make the effort to create such an object unless that person wanted to
inform Urdu speakers. Just as one person's food is another person's poison so
it is that one person's information is just for another persons merely a
physical phenomenon such as processes in nature, ink on paper, sounds or EM
signals. Shannon developed a theory of signals in which some of those signals
have the ability to inform some recipients. I hope this collection of words has
informed you other than giving you the knowledge of my view as to what
constitutes information. Thanks to Joseph, Pedro, and Igor for the opportunity
to reflect on the nature of information. If you enjoyed my post and would like
to learn more about my views on information please send me an email off line
and I will send you an email version of my book What is Information?
Propagating Organization in the Biosphere, the Symbolosphere, the Technosphere
and the Econosphere  for free. And now you know what an infomercial is. This
was an infomercial because of my offer to share my book with you erudite
scholars of FIS whose posts I always enjoy. With kind regards - Bob

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan
www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications