----- Original Message -----
*From:* Joseph Brenner <mailto:joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>
*To:* Stanley N Salthe <mailto:ssal...@binghamton.edu> ; fis <mailto:fis@listas.unizar.es>
*Sent:* Friday, October 24, 2014 9:25 AM
*Subject:* Re: [Fis] "The Travelers"

Dear Stan, Pedro and Bob L.,

I agree with Pedro that meaning is not present as an actuality when simple physical systems interact. But I agree in part with Stan also that we can, today, attribute a 'further interesting aspect' or a 'forerunner' of meaning to such processes. In my language, meaning, or meaningful information, is therefore present as a potentiality.

This helps, I think, to see meaning not as an acquired set of informational entities, but as a process, an evolving set of relations to the underlying simpler physical and biological processes. Deacon describes well the recursive cognitive processes involved, only possible at the our evolved level, permitting the establishment of other higher level relations, e.g. creative and emotional.

Another pertinent language is that of immanence. In a fully deterministic universe, we, and our roles, were 'present' at its inception in its current form. This might appear as an empty metaphorical attribution, for all ordinary practical purposes, but it is not empty if it has consequences for ethical behavior.

Thank you and best wishes,

Joseph