Dear Joseph,

These "potentialities" can be considered as possible other (future) states of
the system that can be entertained by reflexive systems such as human psyche
and inter human discourse. The other possible states thus add to the maximum
entropy (= log(N)). Given the observable systems (that is the expected
information), the redundancy is thus enlarged (and uncertainty consequently
reduced).

When the other possible states (entertained by the reflection) are further
codified -- for example, in a model -- future states can also be entertained,
predicted and/or engineered. Thus, the mechanisms of cultural expectations
continuously transform the modeled system. "All that is solid will melt into
air" (Marx). But one should not consider this as a dialectic. It is a
trialectic of at least three selection mechanisms operating upon one another
(selection, retention, self-organization). The reduction of uncertainty (the
negative information) is caused by spurious correlations between each two of
these three selection mechanisms.

Best,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
University of Amsterdam
l...@leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor, SPRU, University of Sussex;
Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ., Hangzhou; Visiting Professor, ISTIC, Beijing;
Visiting Professor, Birkbeck, University of London;
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en