Dear Moises, Ken, and FIS colleagues,

First of all, thanks to you two for chairing the discussion session. Also, for a different matter, to Raquel del Moral. She has been working with me in the complete archive of fis messages and recapitulating the whole fis discussion-sessions celebrated (starting by the the "virtual conference" long ago, in 1998). It is a big novelty in the fis webpage. Please, have a glance at: http://fis.sciforum.net/fis-discussion-sessions/
Hopefully it will allow quite many future bibliometric studies...

A closer relationship between classical information/library science and a renewed information science as was attempted in the session is important. Organizing the stock of accumulated knowledge in this epoch of multidisciplinarity, of instant data access, of increasing research complexity, of pervasive big data, of massive innovation, etc. should imply new thinking styles and a new reflection on the individual mind versus the aggregate system of collective intelligence. Unfortunately I do not see much advancement in that matter --even the opposite. The talk about the "global brain" is superficial at best. The attentional saturation of the social environment during the last decade is strongly diminishing the individual capabilities for really creative thought and deep interdisciplinary engagement (for instance, less and less interesting new books). The dangers inherent in the "mechanization of knowledge", as was warning a celebrated essay by Harold Innis (McLuhan's mentor), could become real in our time.

So, if the above lamentations have a grain of truth, we have not much succeeded in the ongoing discussion. If the new mission of library science, hand to hand with the new information science, should also include the qualitative thinking on the social and institutional conditions for advancement of knowledge in its widest sense (humanist too), we have a lot of pending work to do. I hope not to be sounding pessimistic! I was motivated by some recent comment of an Indian researcher (Sunita Narain) on waste management: "the key obstacle is that everyday challenges are not top priorities for research and innovation. Indian science has always been fascinated by the 'masculine' agendas of space and genetics, not reinventing the toilet. Instead, science must meet the needs of poor people. We need to devise ways to prevent pollution rather than cleaning it up afterwards. Indian research has to be more humble, nimble and investigative... India's ambition should be to become front-runner in the race to save the planet." (Nature 2015, vol. 521, pp:155)

Best--Pedro

Moisés André Nisenbaum wrote:

Dear FIS Colleagues,

First, I want to thank Pedro and everyone the opportunity to introduce, participate and observe the development of debate “THE FOURTH GREAT DOMAIN OF SCIENCE: INFORMATIONAL?”

I spent the last days documenting the posts related to this discussion. On this basis, I will present some numbers and comments about these rich discussions.

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Tfno. +34 976 71 3526 (& 6818)