Dear Fernando, Luis, and FIS colleagues,

In a few days the list will take vacations (it is our tradition that in August we do not make discussions). At your convenience, around next week better, you are invited to make some concluding comments if you find them opportune. The discussion has had quite interesting points and you may have obtained elements of reflection --as we all have had.

As an overall opinion, probably distorted and biologically biased, I find the way of thinking of your essay too much relying on mechano-physicalist elements. It is part of what I call the XIX and XX Century "social thermodynamics" complex (social forces, social masses, irreversible social processes, productive forces, etc.). Maybe because of the space-mechanistic view, at the microlevel, the bases of the theory of human act, and the accompanying classifications, have scarce ecological and neurological sense. For instance, the neural areas devoted to the hand are at least ten times larger than the areas devoted to the whole arm (and the tongue has also a disproportionate large representation) both in the sensory and motor cerebral "homunculi". Sure, it is accordance with the behavioral complexity and degrees of freedom of the corresponding actions. The hierarchic approach does not fit well with the biological organization of behavior either. Besides, what about the info value of the actions of other Anthropoidea in their niches--the same as humans? Also, why in the vital acts the info escalates to infinity?, while at the same time "the information of the life world is constant." Creativity in itself is not unbounded, as Kauffman put, the "adjacent possible" holds for the possible technological, creative, and social changes. Regarding the "dignity" and "zooming" of the vital acts, these terms and the way they are used are again alien to elementary cognitive stances...

Finally, the most important "action" of the human being is talking. See the "Social Brain Theory" of Baron-Cohen and Dunbar. Talking is second only to sleeping in the daily hours devoted. The relative social, intercultural, historic constancy of that ecological time devoted to talking (and the number of bonding relationships associated) has motivated the concept of "sociotype", within the triad genotype-phenotype-sociotype. This enlarged sociotype was the crucial evolutionary factor of humans. Whatever impinges in the communication practices that subtend the sociotype (writing, books, computers) etc. has a disproportionate impact in the actions, practices, products and artifacts related to human sociality. The cortical space devoted to sociotype dynamics and memory contents is the highest within our brain. Actually, by decreasing our social capabilities, we may concentrate in new cultural activities... Thus, the sociotype would delineate our basic info constraint.

I would like to ad several other comments, but it is not the case. The point of view adopted by this essay is quite curious and interesting for both the micro and macro levels, although some more bio-neuro-compatibility would benefit its acceptability, I think.

All the best & enjoy the vacations

---Pedro

Fernando Flores wrote:

Dear Mark

Thanks for your commentaries. Our use of the term “foundational” is more philosophical than practical. You are right; the term contradicts in some sense our intentions which are “very” practical. (This is a term which we could leave behind without hesitation.) In fact, we have no intentions in “instituting” a new concept of “information”. Our work is “foundational” only in one aspect, and that is in searching for methods to measure the informational value of collective acts in everyday life. We found that it was necessary to classify human acts in such a way that their informational value could be “operative” (useful in practical tasks); we did that, grouping the acts in types depending on their complexity. We found that these acts could also be distinguished in relation to their consequences on the everyday world. We noticed that the movement from the very complex acts to the simplest acts follows a reduction of the surrounding world and that the human body is the natural reference in the understanding of this reduction. We knew that we could express informational value in relation to probabilities and found in the von Mises/Popper frequency series a possible and easy solution (an accessible mathematics). We insist; we have been working only with practical problems and we have not been thinking so much of which concept of information we are using; we believe that cybernetics does not address the practical problems we confront. However, we are sure that if we succeed, some cybernetic theorem will explain our success. The question is that the state of knowledge we have today is insufficient to understand the simplest informational problems in our surrounding world. Informational theory and cybernetics have been developed in the world of Physics; instead, we try to develop solutions that work in everyday life. If you understand as “variety” the measure of the “states of a system”, the series of von Mises/Popper could be our kind of variety, but we are not sure. You are certain, our “acts” are neither “actions” nor “events”, but they are not the hybrids of Latour either. Our acts are phenomenological; they are intended to be congruent with concepts as “work”, “money”, “culture”, “thing”, “market”, and the like. The concept “informational value” for example, is very close to the concept of “information” without meaning exact the same.

Fernando Flores PhD

Associate Professor

History of Ideas and Sciences

Lund University