Dear Loet - I agree with your remarks: "Bob and his colleagues define
information (2008; p. 28) as “natural selection assembling the very constraints
on the release of energy that then constitutes work and the propagation of
organization.” This may have meaning in a biological framework, in which
selection is considered “natural” resulting in organization(s). In the cultural
domain, organization (of meaning) remains constructed and contingent; selection
is never “natural”, but based on codified expectations."

Our definition that you kindly referred do was meant strictly for the biotic
domain and we contrasted it with symbolic information.

Thank for the mention of our work and best wishes - Bob

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Fellow University of St. Michael's College
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan
www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications