Dear Karl,

Thank you for this very considered letter.
I would like to ask you about your entry

"6.      Quantum information. By keeping an exact accounting about which
predictions are being fulfilled to which degree we see a self-organisation
evolve on competing interpretations of a+b=c. Using the property of an element
to belong to a cycle with cardinality n, we can use the negated form of
not-belonging to different other cycles to transmit information. Information is
a statement about something that is not the case. We can show the impossibility
of a spatial arrangement of arguments of a sentence to cause impossibilities of
coexistence of commutative arguments of the same sentence. “

My question: How is your comment about quantum information related to the
orthodox minimal model for quantum information that we usually use?
I will detail this model in the next paragraph. I do understand that your
paragraph refers to the complementarity aspects of quantum information. The
description below is a concise formulation of the entire quantum model.
What is lacking for physics is the addition of the structure of observables and
the relationship of the temporal evolution of the unitary transformation with
the Hamiltonian (i.e. with formulations of physical energy).
Lifted in this way from the particular physics, this description is minimal
take on quantum theory that can be used in discussing its properties.

Quantum Theory in a Nutshell
1. A state of a quantum system is a vector |psi> of unit length in a complex
vector space H. H is a Hilbert space, but it can be finite dimensional.
Convectors are denoted by <phi | so that <phi |psi> is a complex number and
<psi |psi> is a positive real number.
2. A quantum process is a unitary transformation U: H ——> H. Unitary means that
the U* = U^{-1} where U* denotes the conjugate transpose of U.
3. An observation projects the state to a subspace. The simplest and most
useful form of this is to
assume that H has an orthonormal basis { |e_1> ,|e_2>,…} that consists in all
possible results of observations.
Then observing |psi> results in |e_n> for some n with probability |<e_n |
psi>|^2.
Note that the Sum_{n} |<e_n | psi>|^2 = 1 since |psi> is a vector of unit
length.

This description shows that quantum theory is a dynamic sort of probability
theory. The state vector |psi> is a superposition of all the possibilities for
observation, with complex number coefficients.
Via the absolute squares of these coefficients |psi. can be regarded as a
probability distribution for the outcomes that correspond to each basis
direction. Since the coefficients are complex numbers and the quantum processes
preserve the total probability, one has room for complexity of interaction,
phase, superposition, cancellation and so on.

Best,
Lou Kauffman

> [...]
>>
>> Plamen
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Louis H Kauffman <lou...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:lou...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Dear Plamen,
>> I do not know why Gel-Mann supported this. It is interesting to me anyway.
>> It is primarily an artistic endeavor but is based on some ideas of visual
>> development of complex forms from simpler forms.
>> Some of these stories may have a grain of truth. The sort of thing I do and
>> others do is much more conservative (even what D’Arcy Thompson did is much
>> more conservative). We look for simple patterns that definitely seem to
>> occur in complex situations and we abstract them and work with them on their
>> own grounds, and with regard to how these patterns work in a complex system.
>> An artistic approach can be very fruitful.
>> Best,
>> Lou
>>
>>> On Mar 16, 2016, at 9:43 AM, Dr. Plamen L. Simeonov
>>> <plamen.l.simeo...@gmail.com <mailto:plamen.l.simeo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Lou, Pedro and Colleagues,
>>>
>>> I have another somewhat provoking question about the "constructive" role of
>>> topology in morphogenesis. What do you think about the somewhat artistic,
>>> but scientifically VERY controversial theory about the origin and
>>> development of life forms based on physical forces from classical mechanics
>>> and topology only, thus ignoring all of genetics, Darwinism and Creationism:
>>>
>>> http://www.ilasol.org.il/ILASOL/uploads/files/Pivar_ILASOL-2010.pdf
>>> <http://www.ilasol.org.il/ILASOL/uploads/files/Pivar_ILASOL-2010.pdf>
>>>
>>> What part of this can be regarded as science at all, and If there is
>>> something missing what is it? Why did a person like Murray Gel-Mann support
>>> this?
>>>

>>> Best
>>>
>>> Plamen

>>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Pedro C. Marijuan
>>> <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es <mailto:pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>> wrote:
>>> Louis, a very simple question: in your model of self-replication, when you
>>> enter the environment, could it mean something else than just providing the
>>> raw stuff for reproduction? It would be great if related to successive
>>> cycles one could include emergent topological (say geometrical-mechanical)
>>> properties. For instance, once you have divided three times the initial
>>> egg-cell, you would encounter three symmetry axes that would co-define the
>>> future axes of animal development--dorsal/ventral, anterior/posterior,
>>> lateral/medial. Another matter would be about the timing of complexity,
>>> whether mere repetition of cycles could generate or not sufficient
>>> functional diversity such as Plamen was inquiring in the case of molecular
>>> clocks (nope in my opinion).  best--Pedro
>>>

>>> --
>>> Pedro C. Marijuán
>>> Grupo de Bioinformación / Bioinformation Group
>>> Instituto Aragonés de Ciencias de la Salud
>>> Centro de Investigación Biomédica de Aragón (CIBA)
>>> 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
>>> Tfno. +34 976 71 3526 <tel:%2B34%20976%2071%203526> (& 6818)