To FIS colleagues,

I would like to submit four different comments, which have various dates
of reference and which I hope are not too late to be of interest. The first has to do with Kalevi’s article, the second with a comment by Stan Salthe, the third with corrections and amplifications of a previous entry of mine that pertains to Alex’s presentation and Steven Bindeman’s commentary, the
fourth with a response from Professor Johnstone to whom I sent the last
comments on Gödel’s theorem.

1). Several weeks back, Plamen suggested that we look at Kalevi’s article in relation to meaning. What I found of particular interest in addition to the model of what Kalevi terms “meaning-making” is the use of an if/then relationship in the service of exemplifying “operations” that basically consist of a causal sequence: “IF a THEN DO b.” The sequence is a matter of perception and movement, of perceiving such and such, and doing such and such in turn, the sequence taking the form of a rule.

Multiple sources in fact exist for exemplifying the significance of if/then
relationships in the real-life-real-time lives of animate organisms:

Husserl writes directly and many times over of the centrality of if/then relationships to sense-making, in particular, the relationship of “the kinestheses” to perception. Infant psychiatrist and clinical psychologist Daniel Stern writes of the centrality of if/then relationships in the developmental lives of infants, describing the relationships
as consequential relationships.
Psychologist Lois Bloom in her book The Transition from Infancy to Language focuses specifically on if/then relationships, describing them in terms of relational concepts. Further still, a striking confluence of thought is evident in the writings of Husserl and 19th century physicist-physiologist Hermann von Helmholtz, namely, in their recognition of the central significance of movement in perception and their common use of the procedure of free variation, the latter a critical methodological dimension of phenomenology that, as in von Helmholtz’s “body-on” empirical variations, shows how methodology subserves
epistemological ends (for references, contact msj).

2. Regarding Stan Salthe’s observation: Your "untethered to theories" and "as they are" is more problematic than it might seem. Even as fetuses we are becoming entrained by our cultural values and views. As well, consider that we are primates, and animals as opposed to being plants. We could arrange the constraints bearing upon ur observations as a subsumptive hierarchy: {material {living {primate {human {cultured }}}}}.

I agree that a challenge definitely exists! (See also #3 below.) Whether a matter of bracketing and reducing phenomenologically or a matter of meditational “bare attention,” the challenge of being present to what is, unconstrained by “here is what I think” or “here is what I believe,” and so on, cannot be overlooked. The challenge exists in any pursuit of veridical knowledge, including that of science. All the same, regarding what I termed “complex historical phenomena” and the idea that “Even as fetuses we are becoming entrained by our cultural values and views,” I would like to add the following query and comments in defending the possibility of meeting the
challenge:

I wonder if, in relation to cultural entrainment, reference is being made to fetuses being aware of people’s voices, for example, hence their language—its inflections, tonalities, and so on--and of musical sounds, hence a certain cultural milieu in which, for example, certain instruments are played, certain melodic lines and harmonics are characteristic, and so on. Yet before this time (which begins around the 16th week of pregnancy), other sensory faculties have been developing, notably tactility and kinesthesia. The sequence of development of embryonic neural tissue in fact underscores a significant point. As Swedish medical people (Furuhjelm, Ingelman-Sundberg, and Wirsén 1977, p. 91) document, at eleven weeks, “[m]uscles are already at work under the skin and their movements become gradually more coordinated by the developing nervous system. The lips open and close, the forehead wrinkles, the brows . . . rise and the head turns. . . . this is no heavyweight exercising his muscles—the fetus weighs three quarters of an ounce, the weight of an ordinary letter.” In short, insofar as tactility and movement are the first neurological sensory systems to develop, cultural entrainments necessarily originate on the basis of an evolutionary background and heritage, that is, on a background and heritage that is prior to culture and that in fact continues to be operative and significant, whatever the cultural entrainments. We can appreciate this fact via Darwin’s succinct observation: “Seeing a Baby (like Hensleigh’s) smile & frown, who can doubt these are instinctive—a child does not sneer” (Darwin 1987, Notebook M,
No. 96, p. 542).
I would add that a hierarchy is commonly a ranked order, whereas historically and developmentally, that is, from both a phylogenetic and ontogenetic perspective, the membranes, so to speak, are permeable.

3). I would like first to correct what, on the basis of received comments, was a less than exact
specification of what I meant by descriptive foundations.

If we are intent on unwrapping the structure of life, of world, of self, of cells, and so on, and so on, do we not have to begin with the phenomenon itself, observe it, in Mark Johnson’s word, “listen” to it before packaging it in ready-made terms? Being present to what is, is challenging. Being present to what is without the usual body armor, so to speak, is similar not only to the initial phenomenological practice of bracketing, but to the Theravada (Vipassana) meditational practice of ‘bare attention’. Before naming anything, much less before responding to it in any way, one lets the experience of what is present have its say. In this way, one gets to know what is present in the most exacting ways and is therefore able to describe it in the most exacting ways. Descriptive foundations are built on just such an observational, experience-based process of knowing. Listening, precisely in Mark Johnson’s sense, can and does indeed lead to precision in describing. It may well be because there is a stillness in listening . . . whether we are listening to a Bach cantata or listening in the same mode of stillness to
what is.
Describing what is listened to may nevertheless prove difficult. As Husserl remarks in relation to the nature of flux in his discussion of the “temporally constitutive flux” of internal time consciousness (a consciousness Alex refers to in the first section of his presentation), “For all this names are lacking.” In short, describing may prove difficult because flux designates dynamics, as in, to quote Husserl again,
the fact that “consciousness of the world is . . . in constant motion.”

In this context, I would add that, whatever the academic domain, received wisdom can and at times does lead astray. It can do so not only by overlooked semantic vacuities but by a disregard of real-life, real-time experience. With respect to the latter, received wisdom, aided by dictionaries, defines movement as a “change of position,” and, aided by objective measurements, defines it as a force in time and space. In both instances, received wisdom fails to accord with the fact that any and all movement creates its own force, time, and space, which is why we describe a movement--movement itself--as jagged, for example, or as intense, or as abrupt, and so on. What we overlook or disregard can deflect us from insights into X
or the nature of X.

I would also like to correct my singling out Jane Goodall’s years of dedicated study as setting the original gold standard for observational-descriptive work. Charles Darwin obviously set the original gold standard and was followed by others such as Adolph Portmann. In fact, Darwin’s last book—-The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Action of Worms with Observations on Their Habits—-should perhaps be required reading for anyone concerned with “the bodies we are not,” with the mental powers of such bodies, and the role such bodies have played in the history of the world.

What was said above about the stillness in listening is pertinent to the silence Steve Bindeman describes. In both instances, one is listening to what is. Along this line of thought, and specifically with respect to metaphysics and metaphysical claims, I quote from a book by a Buddhist-trained psychoanalyst
(Mark Epstein in Thoughts without a Thinker):

There were in fact fourteen subjects that the Buddha repeatedly refused to discuss, all of them
        searching for absolute certainty:
        1). Whether the world is eternal, or not, or both, or neither.
2). Whether the word is finite (in space), or infinite, or both , or neither. 3). Whether an enlightened being exists after death, or does not, or both, or neither.
        4). Whether the soul is identical with the body or different from it.

4). What follows below is an attempt by Professor Johnstone to clarify what he earlier wrote:

A better illustration of the point I am trying to make is the following sentence:

‘The statement that I am making right now is true.’

The sentence seems to make a statement, but in fact it says nothing. It is vacuous, and the
question of whether it is true or false is not decidable.
Semantic self-reference results in pseudo-statements of the sort that say nothing. Syntactic self-reference is in principle fine. However, when certain syntactically self-referential combinations of symbols in formal systems are given their intended interpretation in a natural language, they turn out to make semantically self-referential
pseudo-statements.

Such is the case with Smullyan’s sentence, ‘-PN(-PN)’. Interpreted in English as a grammatically
correct sentence, what it says is semantically self-referential.
The same is true of Smullyan’s sentence (in Forever Undecided) ‘This statement is not provable in formal system S.’ Like the sentence ‘This statement is true’, it says nothing.

Likewise, when the Gödel sentence is fully interpreted in English as a statement in arithmetic (which incidentally it is not), it makes a semantically self-referential pseudo-statement, one
that says nothing.
Since the Gödel sentence says nothing, it cannot say of itself that it is not provable. Consequently, it is incorrectly characterized as a sentence that says something true but not
decidable in formalized arithmetic.

Many thanks for your kind attention!—and
Cheers,
Maxine