Hello Loet, Bob U, Alex et alia - I agree with Bob U when he wrote "The problem
is that information is not an absolute.”  As I have stated before on this list
information is relative and depends on the context.

And I agree with Loet when he wrote, "Different systems of reference, of
course, can attribute different meanings to the same information.”
   In fact McLuhan expressed Loet's thought long ago with the one-liner: "The
user is the content” Applying this idea to Shannon’s original paper might
explain why we have so many definitions of information as each reader of his
original paper has their own interpretation of Shannon because as McLuhan said
"the user is the content”.

For this user, Shannon information theory should be called Shannon signal
theory as Shannon himself said his theory was not concerned with meaning only
the accuracy of sending a signal from point A to point B. What does information
without meaning mean anyway?

I enjoy these conversations about the meaning of information and even wrote a
book on the subject entitled What Is Information? (Available for free at
demopublishing.com) but I get the feeling we are like the dog chasing its own
tail.  I agreed with Bob U’s point that information is not an absolute and then
I agreed with Loet’s disagreement with Bob U’s point. Talk about a dog chasing
its tail.

And if this is not enough consider another McLuhan one-liner: "The medium is
the message” in which he suggests that there is additional information in the
medium that carries the signals from point A to point B independent of those
signals.

cheers - Bob L

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Fellow University of St. Michael's College
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan
www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications