Dear Professor Torday,

thank you for your insightful analysis of the complex system which is
genetics. Your viewpoints cover from the molecular, cellular, physiological
level up to that of cosmic changes affecting the whole of the Earth. Your
work is truly a tour d’horizon of the subject.

Random mutation or natural selection: this is a relatively minor aspect of
the overall interdependence. On this subject it may be helpful to take a
look at what the numbers say. The Darwin concept of survival of the fittest
creates a linear order among the animals: fittest thru the medium down to
the least fit, which get eaten and therefore by their absence in the
genetic pool influence the future composition of the multitude. External
influences exist and they exert their influence by creating a sorted
collection. The pressure exerted by natural selection can well be modelled
by simple arithmetic of sorting.

Having at least two external influences at work at any time, one may assume
that in the multitude the laws of transition between two orders are valid.
(For the organism it may be of advantage to have more fat, to be well
prepared for the winter; having more fat may be irrelevant for the ability
to make mimicry.) Competing external influences may well bring forth
situations, where the organism has to decide whether to be prepared for
future danger type A or for future danger type B.

This is the moment where random mutation can appear. Being sorted and
ordered in aspects A and B means that there exist groups among elements
that make the change together. The element does not change its position on
its own: it is embedded in a community with other elements, forming a kind
of convoy, a string, a filament. Permutations consist of cycles.

The concept of cycles brings a temporal dimension to the proceedings. The
cycle elements *e* are in, progresses through slices of logical truth: each
such a moment which is true is true for one element *e_i*, had been true
just before for one element *e_(i-1)*, and will be true just next for one
element *e_(i+1)*. Cycles of interest being composed of more than a very
few members, such elements of the corpus, which will be true later, are a
potential subject of seduction. Assuming that there is concurrently a
reordering procedure between aspects C and D, there are great chances that
any element that is not being certified true, may change its properties
before being nailed down by truth having arrived for him, too. Lots of room
for random results.

Random mutation can well be connected to the mechanisms that govern natural
selection. The two ideas are not unreconciliable.

There are many more ideas in your expose which can be supported by the
numbers. The numbers are here, ready to serve you.