On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:39:53PM -0700, Kevin Ballard wrote:
> > I'd like a way for the auto-complete to work exactly like in my
> > browser, which means i want to have it auto-complete and execute
> > just from a single press of enter, without ctrl-f or right arrow.
> I think this is a misguided idea. In the browser, you have the concept
> of a selection. When the browser autocompletes a URL, it leaves the
> autocompleted part selected, for easy deletion/modification. But to do
> what you want in fish, you'd have to define a completely new keyboard
> shortcut whose sole purpose is to delete the current autocompletion so
> you can execute what you have if that's all you want.

for the record, i hate my browser automatically activating the
auto-complete selection on enter. i tend to type and hit enter quickly
if i know that i just typed exactly what i want and i get very annoyed
if i get something different than what i typed.

in the shell i'd probably dislike it as much, if not more.

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
services:   debugging, programming, training, linux sysadmin, web development