fish is deliberately incompatible with POSIX in several ways. For example,
splitting of variables, via IFS:

foo='John       Doe'
echo $foo

POSIX requires us to throw away all the whitespace, and output 'John Doe'.
Dumb, huh? So making fish POSIX compliant would compromise usability.

Other shells like bash have a POSIX compatibility mode, even allowing them to
be used as a replacement for /bin/sh. However supporting this requires
introducing a great deal more complexity  - see for example
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-POSIX-Mode.html for a
partial list, which would be significantly longer for fish, because it's much
further away from /bin/sh than is bash.

More interesting than POSIX compliance would be a bash compatibility mode,
which would allow fish to take advantage of tools like rbenv  without requiring
them to be rewritten for fish. Such a mode would not have to fully emulate
bash, just enough to support such tools.

_fish