I *think* what's happening is the sh version with backticks will split the
result of the backticked command into *words*, while fish will split the
result into *lines*. So you're handing gcc the argument "-z relro -WI"
instead of "-z" "relro" "-WI", etc.

You might try, and this is a guess,

    eval gcc -o snmpdemoapp snmpdemoapp.o (net-snmp-config --libs)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM, John Chludzinski <
john.chludzin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to compile some SNMP code there's an inline command I need to
> get the required libs. When I run the command in fish, using () I get the
> following:
>
> gcc -o snmpdemoapp snmpdemoapp.o (net-snmp-config --libs)
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: -z relro -Wl ignored.
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: -z now -L/usr/lib -lnetsnmp -lssl -lssl -lcrypto -lm
> ignored.
> snmpdemoapp.o: In function `main':
> /home/jski/amp-v-e-switch/vis/snmp/snmpdemoapp.c:28: undefined reference
> to `init_snmp'
> pdemoapp.c:101: undefined reference to `snmp_perror'
> /home/jski/amp-v-e-switch/vis/snmp/snmpdemoapp.c:89: undefined reference
> to `snmp_sess_perror'
>

> When I used Bourne, it works:
>
> gcc -o snmpdemoapp snmpdemoapp.o `net-snmp-config --libs`
>
> Why?
>
> ---John

*Glenn Jackman*
Senior Software Developer