We check whether the backtrace functions are available at configure time.
See "AC_CHECK_FUNCS( backtrace_symbols getifaddrs )" in configure.ac.

On macOS and GNU Linux those routines are in libc. Please open an
enhancement issue if we need additional autoconf tests to check if
libexecinfo needs to be added to the list of libraries we link against.
Which appears to be the case for FreeBSD.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Mizsei Zoltán <miq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> i just noticed, the compiled fish binary doesn’t depend on libexecinfo,
> whovewer  it checks for backtrace in compile time.
> Does it a compile-time dependency or, runtime-dep, or both?
>
> I’m on my way to reduce the build-time dependencies to the minimum on
> Haiku, here is my current recipe: https://github.com/
> haikuports/haikuports/blob/master/app-shells/fish/fish-2.5.0.recipe
>
> As you can see, libexecinfo (what provides the backtrace support on Haiku
> and on some other platforms) defined as build and as runtime dep, but
> examining the created binary it doesn’t require this lib. Does fish require
> just the declarations form the header file, but not the actual library?
>
> Thanks for all the fish!
>
> —miqlas

Kurtis Rader