Hi all,

I am pleased to announce the release of version 3.1.0 of fish.

This release once again contains a large number of improvements, and
fixes some long-standing enhancement requests and bugs. Compatibility
with other shells is improved, and a small number of
backward-incompatible changes have been made to improve the overall
experience of using fish for new and returning users alike.

As always, before upgrading, please read the release notes carefully.
They take a long time to prepare so we hope they are useful.

The tarball and packages for Linux, macOS and Windows will soon be
available from https://fishshell.com/ and the release notes will be at
https://fishshell.com/release_notes.html - but in the meantime I have
uploaded the release to the GitHub releases page at:
  https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/releases/tag/3.1.0

The Linux packages have been submitted to the release:3 channel, and if
you are using your system package manager to install fish from these
channels a new version will make its way to you soon. If you'd like to
use this method, the links are:
  https://launchpad.net/~fish-shell/+archive/ubuntu/release-3 (Ubuntu)

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=shells%3Afish%3Arelease%3A3&package=fish
  (Debian, Fedora, openSUSE and Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

A pull request for Homebrew will be submitted shortly, making the new
version available soon via upgrading or running `brew install fish`.

For our distributors, the tarball is available at
https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/releases/download/3.1.0/fish-3.1.0.tar.gz
The SHA-256 sum is
e5db1e6839685c56f172e1000c138e290add4aa521f187df4cd79d4eab294368 and the
tarball has a signature from my personal PGP key, as does this message.

A big thank you to all those who have contributed code, documentation,
discussions, feedback and joie de vivre over the last twelve months.

It's my pleasure to particularly welcome the many following contributors who
have commits in 3.1.0 for the first time:

  0x005c, 239, ARifleman, Aaron Raimist, Akatsuki, Amy Grace, Andrew
  Childs, Andy, Ankush Patil, Artur Juraszek, Ashe Connor, Benjamin
  Nied, Brian Malehorn, Bruno Heridet, Christopher Rogers, Collin
  Styles, Daniel Bretoi, David Gowers, Dawid Dziurla, Delapouite, Deniz
  Kızılırmak, Dror Levin, GReagle, Gabriel Medeiros Coelho, Geographer,
  Greg Anders, Hideki Hamada (jakalada), Jakob Landbo, Jakub Darul,
  James Stidard, Jan Tojnar, Janczar Kurek, Jason Nader, Jeremy,
  Johannes Altmanninger, John McKay, Jonathan Revah, Klaus Alexander
  Seistrup, Kon Doumou, LawAbidingCactus, Lior Stern, Maksim Novikov,
  Mark Stosberg, Matan Kushner, Mathieu Duponchelle, Michael Jarvis,
  Miha Filej, Mrmaxmeier, Nathan Galt, Norio Nomura, Oleg Butuzov, Osamu
  Aoki, Per Bothner, Peter Collingbourne, Peter Lithammer, Ray Hogenson,
  Robin Linden, Roman Beranek, Rosen Penev, Ryan Adolf, Sean Molenaar,
  Sergei Morozov, Shun Sakai, Stephen M.  Coakley, Takuya Noguchi,
  The0x539, Tim Riley, Tobias Hernstig, Varun Arora, Versus, Z. Grace
  Moreau, aca, adiabatic, domdom, edef, hrvoj3e, hyperfekt, ideal,
  infix, jalr, matoruru, mk2, puenka, takoyaki9n, tomKPZ, wyahiro, ykai,
  yogendra, zabereer, and 艾雨寒 ArielAxionL

Thanks also go to our returning contributors:

  Aaron Bieber, Aaron Gyes, Aaron Miller, Birger J. Nordølum, Clément
  Martinez, Curtis Jiang, Dan Martinez, Dan Zimmerman, David Adam,
  Fabian Homborg, Frederik Gladhorn, Geoff Nixon, George Christou,
  Guilhem Saurel, Jason, Kevin Konrad, Lily Ballard, Leonard Hecker,
  Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Max Nordlund, Sabine Maennel, Sam Yu, SanskritFritz,
  Siteshwar Vashisht, Wilke Schwiedop, madblobfish, radek-sprta,
  raichoo, and, as always the closest person we have to a SABDFL,
  ridiculousfish.

I hope you enjoy the new release of the fish shell.

David Adam
fish committer
zanc...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au