This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron & Sherrie Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, February 6, 2006 11:16 am
Subject: Virtual Evaluations
> This message is from: "Ron & Sherrie Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hi all,

> PNGPG also does clinic's  Brian and
> Ursula have
> video's from past Evaluations that show the patterns and what needs
> to be
> done to present your horse

PNPG has done a good job in trying to promote Fjords and make these
events available
What about recording these actual evaluations and making them available
to the membership as part of or in addition to the training DVDs?

 > clinics.
I tried to get to the one PNFPG held in Washington and also considered
Libby.  That is my area but I would only be able to bring one or two
horses and it is a long haul .  To do a horse justice takes more than a
week( 2-4 days to drive both ways, 1-2 to attend clinic and one to do
evaluation and then several more for the show)

> did a clinic for PNFPG it only cost about 30.00 per person for an
> all day
> classroom clinic with the video and lots of questions and answers
> as well as
> handouts to take with you.  It was well worth the dollars that I
> spent.

I drooled over the clinic when it was announced. The planefare to get to
the clinic sans horse was close to 800.00 from here.

> > Evaluation at
> Libby in conjunction with the Libby 20th Anniversary show.  The
> dates would
> be the 6th and 7th and the show would be the 8th thru the 10th.

Case in point 6-10 days out of a work schedule. Or close to $1,000 per
horse to transport commercially plus I have to get there.  It is held
just at the beginning of school for many of us ( I teach in the
University). and I am in a neigboring state.

I am not trying to be argumentative and I tried valiantly to get to the
last evaluations and to Libby last year. VS put the final cabosh on that
one . I salute those who can do it.

  It is a once every few years if ever event for some of us.  So when we
do, it would be nice to be very well for-armed with the types of things
we are discussing here and maybe also have the advantage of a virtual
evaluation system for some stock.  Definitely would help overcome our
distribution problems.

Another but related topic. When you compare the number of stallions in
North america with the Germans, Danish, Dutch and Norwegians, please
remember that you are comparing apples to oranges.  That comparison is
equivalent spatially to having 50-60 stallions in Montana, another 30-40
in Wyoming, the same in each of Utah and Idaho. Quarter horses yes,
Fjords, in your dreams. We have orders of magnitude fewer horses.   AI
is wonderful and I have used it on my horses for years, but, the number
of fjord stallions available through AI is relatively small, you have to
live clse to an airport and not everyone has the services of a good
equine reproductive vet.

Part of the allure of the Fjordhorse is its versatility and suitability
for ordinary people, and that will be our ultimate market after we get
done selling our breeding stock to each other.  I agree with  a previous
lister that if it is too difficult or expensive to maintain the quality
breeding, commerce will demand a less desirable way, or we will fail to
promote the horses to the right people.

Different circumstances call for different solutions and maybe this
discussion  will lead to constructive solutions which will address some
of these problems, without dismantling the current system..