This message is from: "Ron & Sherrie Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

One thing that no one has touched on is that this is a very young system. As more horses are Evaluated there will be a larger pool of Evaluated horses to choose from. I don't recall that anyone has advocated that only Evaluated horses be bred. Yes there has been talk about breeding the best to the best, but that's always the way it should be. Personally I think that having a horse one on one with a couple of Evaluators for 10 or 15 minutes is a far better system anything else out there.

Virtual Evaluations might be a useful tool for young stock. Young horses change so much in their first 3 years. I still think that fully mature horses need the hands on type of Evaluation that we have now. We need more trained Evaluators and regionally, trained people that can help organize and put on the Evaluations.

PNGPG also does clinic's on how to present your horse for Evaluation, they're usually done at the Spring Meeting which gives everyone five to six months to prepare their horses and themselves. I know that Brian and Ursula have video's from past Evaluations that show the patterns and what needs to be done to present your horse as well as some examples of not "doing your horse a favor", it does your horse no good to take him or her out of the pasture a month before an Evaluation and take 50 pounds off them and then try and have them Evaluated. The horse needs to be worked and conditioned before hand as well as the handler needs to be in shape. The handler needs to be able to jog the horse at a good pace so the Evaluators can see the movement. I've seen the Evaluators ask and re-ask a handler to trot and re-trot a horse because they want to really get a good eye view of how that horse moves. They move around, they squat down at ground level to see how the hooves hit the ground, they really try and give every horse the benefit of the doubt, all of that would be lost with virtual evaluations. At the end of the day when they make their comments I've heard any number of times the Evaluator say "we just couldn't see the movement and so couldn't score them accordingly" or something like that. It wasn't for lack of trying on the Evaluators part. They do everything that they can do to have that horse presented in the very best light. The Evaluators comments at the end of the day would all be lost if we went to virtual Evaluations. The only person that would have those comments would be the horse owner. These comments are extremely educational to those that are present. A lot of first time Fjord owners can learn a lot by listening to the Evaluators at the end of the day. Evaluations are not just about having horses evaluated but EDUCATION as well. We would loose all the education that comes from the Evaluators comments as they are now done if we switched to virtual evaluations.

I do think that an instructional DVD or Video by NFHR on Evaluations and how to prepare for them would be a good idea. It could be purchased by the clubs or individuals and then the clubs or groups that want to sponsor an Evaluation could have a meeting or get together and watch and learn from the DVD. If further info is needed then have a clinic with someone like Brian & Ursula, or Gayle or Anne or who every else in your area does clinics. It will cost a little but in the long run you and your horse will be better prepared and your horse will be Evaluated at his or her best, and that's the bottom line. IF I remember correctly the last time that Brian and Ursula did a clinic for PNFPG it only cost about 30.00 per person for an all day classroom clinic with the video and lots of questions and answers as well as handouts to take with you. It was well worth the dollars that I spent.

As I stated earlier, this is a young system but I think that it is still the best thing going and it will continue to change and evolve as we go. Our Registry is only 25 years old! The Evaluation system is even younger. Give it time.

Since we're on the subject of Evaluations, all of you in the west or anyone planning on being in the west in September, we are planning an Evaluation at Libby in conjunction with the Libby 20th Anniversary show. The dates would be the 6th and 7th and the show would be the 8th thru the 10th. If you're interested please let me know.

Thanks,

Sherrie