This message is from: "Gail Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I free-leased a horse to someone in Texas.  The horse got out on the road
and was hit by a car load of farmworkers, totaling their 1976 pick-up truck.
No one was hurt as far as I know. About one month later I got a FORM letter
from a lawyer in Texas with a STAMPED signature, saying the farmworkers had
sold their claim to him and given him a power of attorney to pursue their
claim.  There were no details of the accident....it just said...in
boilerplate....something to the effect of "you know what happened on X date,
this is our file number, and I am sure you would like to settle this out of
court"  It took me seven outraged phone calls to figure out what it was even
about...and that only worked because I found their 800 number and kept
calling back every time they put me on interminable hold.

In the end, I did a little research on Texas livestock-motorist collision
laws and determined the workers had no claim and that they might even owe me
for the value of the horse (who was killed instantly).  In the end I had the
pleasure of faxing them a suggestion that they actually do a little legal
research on Texas law, and demanding that they settle with ME.

They were, however, probably correct that I have potential liability for the
horse.  There are lawsuit mills like this one everywhere.

GAil
As to the original thread here about the owners not transferring the papers
of the horse for whatever reason - what if someone got hurt on the horse or
the horse got out & did some damage to someone's property.  Would perhaps
the person on the papers - the "Owner" be liable