This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 11:42 AM 9/22/2005, you wrote:
This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a wonderful opportunity to free lease a fjord gelding for the winter
with the option to purchase in the Spring.  I went to look at him yesterday
and he is of course very beautiful.  His current owner said that he is
registered and microchipped in Canada. Does that mean he is not registered or
registerable in the US?

If you want me to check I will need his registered name or registration number in Canada. Then I can tell you if he qualifies for registration with the NFHR or not. Most of the Canadian registered horses do qualify but there are some that are inbred according to our rules. If they are in bred which is defined as

* Inbred horses foaled after January 1986 can not be registered. This includes: mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister and half-brother to half-sister.

then they do not qualify for NFHR registration.

If he is not able to be registered in the US,  does that
make him worth less money?

That I couldn't tell you.

Mike

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497