From: Oscar & Shirley Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:36 AM
Subject: Montana VS outbreak and Libby show

As some of you are aware there has been a confirmed case of vesicular
stomatitis (VS) in the eastern part of Montana (Yellowstone county), and as
of this morning the Billings area.  This will adversely affect the Libby
Show.  Cases have also been confirmed in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and
Arizona.  Although generally not fatal in horses, it is extremely
uncomfortable as it causes blister-like lesions that are located in the
mouth, dental pad, tongue lips, nostrils, on the coronary bands, or on the
teats.  Horses are uncomfortable enough that they generally stop eating and
severe weight loss usually follows.  This can last several weeks as the
infected animal heals.  I visited with my vet, Roland Hall, this morning and
it is his opinion that our show does not need to be cancelled.  However
there are travel restrictions in effect in the state of Montana.  Those
restrictions change (from state to state) depending on the origin of the
horse, and I will be doing some research as to who and how these
restrictions apply.  We will have to have a vet on site to give health
certificates to horses in preparation for leaving the state of Montana.
Although I will continue to pursue this, at this time it appears those
health checks need to come within 72 hours of departure.  Health
certificates bringing your horse into the state will not be accepted to get
you out of the state.  For information about this outbreak please visit the
Department of Livestock web see at  <http://www.mt.gov/liv> www.mt.gov/liv .

Shirley