This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> does this happen, where someone accidentally gets the wrong horse?

Undoubtedly!  There have been assorted instances in the Fjord
literature of folks having either the wrong horse, or the wrong papers
(depending on your point of view).  Some involved European imports
whose brands didn't match their papers.  Some involved North American
breeders for whom DNA typing pointed out some "oops"s in their
record-keeping.  Fjords do tend to look a lot alike, and the fact that
the mares will form "nursery co-ops" can make it hard to decide which
foal belongs to which mare.  For this situation, DNA typing is the way
to go.

When I bought Sleepy (his barn name), I "broke up a set"---two
geldings, Trond and Trondleif, who were 3/4 brothers (same sire; mares
were mother/daughter), born 2 months apart, and had moved together
thru 4 homes!  I was given NFA papers for Trond.  Somewhat later, I
went to double-register him with NFHR.  As part of the paperwork, I
sketched Sleepy's whorls (required by NFHR then), and checked his lip
tattoo (required by NFA at that time).  It was hard to read (green
dots in a grey-flecked lip), but after he'd had a bran mash, it stood
out fairly well.  Hmmm, sure didn't look like the tattoo on Trond's
papers; looked more like the one that the NFA studbook said should be
on Trondleif!  This got a little complicated, as by then, the other
gelding had been sold to someone else, who had cross-registered him
with NFHR under the wrong name.  However, when I brought it up, the
seller persisted, and got both registries to straighten things out.
No biggie on a couple of using geldings (other than to have the
proof-of-ownership papers straight), but on a broodmare, you'd really
like to get the pedigree right.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon