This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A \(GE Healthcare\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I would say if worked good several times a week, maybe between 1000-1100
lbs, if a pasture ornament probably 1100-1250.
All of our horses are around 14.1-14.2 and when they get worked several
days a week the probably loose 100-150 lbs from when they weren't
worked. And the ones that aren't worked are around 1250 lbs.

I would ask how much they are feeding/day.  We feed about 6-8 inches off
a small square bale to each horse 2 times/day.  If they are being worked
that hard they will also need some grain. If they are being worked hard
they will probably need a little more hay than that also.  Also does
their hay have much nutrition in it, or is it overly dried out swamp
grass?

Could the horse have a infestation of worms or parasite?

Also,  I think what we call driving or riding in some horse arena's is
child's play.  Some people, especially rodeo type people, work their
horses quite a few more hours a week than most typical Fjord owners, so
I don't know if most of us really know what a Fjord would look like if
worked real hard.  And I don't mean standing for a hour waiting for
someone to load a wagon of wood to haul back a half mile to the house
once in a while or someone that has 10 fjords and rides each one at a
trot a few times around the arena 5 times a week working up a 15 minute
sweat or maybe a carriage ride a couple times a week.  These things, to
hard core rodeo types, is child's play.

But I do admit, 800 lbs seems like there would be more rib showing than
any 14.1 healthy horse with normal body fat content would have, much
less a Fjord.

The same is true of people and horses.  If we burn more calories than we
consume in a day, we loose weight. I don't know if there is a way to
figure out actual body fat percentage on a horse, but there must be a
way.  What is the actual healthy body fat percentage for horses?  Other
than just standing back and looking at the horse and feeling the ribs,
anything scientific and reproducible that takes out human error on the
market?

Also, there is a limit to how lean a animal or person can be before it
can start to affect body organs.  And of course the opposite is true
also,  overly obese horses probably can be subject to similar health
problems as overly obese humans.  And it don't take much to be
considered obese,  I being 6'1" at 210 lbs am considered borderline
obese.  How about my 14.2 horse at 1250 lbs.  They would eat until they
pop if given a chance it seems at times. We must be careful as we care
for our precious ponies, either way, starving or over indulging them.

Mark Skeels  Helena MT.