This message is from: "Gail Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is the second message.  Apologies to Starfire Farm...to whom I sent
this message thinking I would not get permission from the author to post it
to the list....and then got it.

Gail

Earlier I wrote:

> Horses are not bicycles. They have their own sense of balance, and
> the better it is, the easier the "movement before balance" method
is
> going to be.
> The Germans are, not coincidentally, selectively breeding for
> extraordinary natural balance, and awe-inspiring movement. It
suits
> their theory, and makes perfect sense.
> The "rules" of the French school we've been discussing are
directly
> from Baucher, who is not the only influence on the school, but an
> undeniable one. He did not have horses that suited his theory -
his
> theory was developed from the horses he had available.  It works
> with "whatever" amount of inherent balance a horse has.

I needed to think further on this, I sort of stalled out this
morning.
What I want to clarify here is that both schools work, but with some
notable differences beyond theory .
I think one can use the example of public schools versus private
schools.  Public schools are primarily interested in educating in
numbers. By that I mean, the idea is that as a whole, the system
must be successful in a population. If a majority of the population
is served by the system, i.e. "educated", then the system is judged
successful. If the individual fallout within the system is within
acceptable levels, the value of it is proven. The concern is with
population as whole, not the variability of the individual.
The private school emphasis is to minimize the individual fallout
from a system. It addresses the problem of education  with the idea
that the  principles /structure of the education "work", or
are "proven" because they encompass as much individual variation in
learning as possible. The emphasis is just "from the other end" - if
individual fallout is present, the system is at fault, not the
individual.
We can look at the equine "population" two ways. We have a vast
number of "given" horses, many of them not bred (specifically
intended) or conformed physically or mentally for "dressage". This
is the "private school" approach - and the one Baucher addressed.
The problem is that the private school approach with emphasis on the
individual does not lend itself easily to educating entire
populations, which probably accounts for the reason why the French
cavalry could acknowledge what Baucher was doing as having value,
but did not adopt it as an educational system.
The German approach is more "public school".  As long as the system
is working for a majority of horses,  the system is successful.
Individual fall-out means the horse was not "suitable" for the work
intended . Too much individual fall-out is addressed, not by
changing the system of education, but by enough selection in the
population. The Germans work both ends of the spectrum, as Sharon
would say. Their "system" is not just concerned with the most
efficient way to teach a large population of horses and riders, it
also addresses the APTITUDE of both for the work at hand. If you
don't thrive in the system, you need to be somewhere else, doing
something else.
This is why some historical and cultural backround is important.
Also another reason why clicker trainers, I think, should at least
look into the French school. A lot of us are here on the clickryder
list because we have "children" who need to go to private school!

Jord-Ann

No Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Clickryder Website:  http://clickryder.com
Archives:  http://escribe.com/pets/clickryder