This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Are any of you experiencing a problem in your areas with a lack of Large
> Animal Veterinarians? [...]
> But my vet who retired said that the problem is that of the graduating
> classes, there are about 80% women, and they do not want to go into large
> animal
> veterinary practices.    They mostly do small animal practices.
>
> Rondi Tyler.
> Pinon Hills, Calif.

When we lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, there was a problem
developing with equine vets.  The established practices were fine,
except when they tried to hire in new "associates" (vets just out of
school).  The young vets would come in, work for a year or two, then
move on.  The problem was that they came out of vet school with very
large debt loads, and the cost of living in the SF Bay Area was very
high.  Their entry-level salaries just didn't let them make ends meet,
and the cost of setting up a new practice was prohibitive, so they
would pack up and go somewhere cheaper.  However, many of those young
horse vets were women, so I'm not sure that I believe that they "all"
want to do small animal practices.

OTOH, the travelling equine vet that I used for years did eventually
buy a small animal clinic.  She stayed in the office doing small
animals (except for a few long-time clients' horses), and sent her
associates out to do the "ranch calls".  She said that, as she got
older, being knocked around by an unhappy horse, or doing a midnight
foaling or colic, had lost its charm....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon