This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> [...] about Patrick's diarrhea problem.  [...]
> Patrick gets a very small amount of Blue Seal Trotter grain and plenty of
> grass hay.  He is  out 24/7 in a paddock with a run in shed.  He  is only 9
> years old and I have owned him since he was just 5.  I know that  he has been
> wormed regularly and is only with one other horse in an area that is  picked
> out
> daily.  I'm assuming, especially after giving him the 5 day  Panacur Power
> Pak
> treatment that he should be worm free.  Am I right in  assuming that? [...]
>   Carol n' Patrick in CT

My old Fjord mare, Nansy, had always been a little "loose", but it got
worse as she got older.  In her case, the problem was her teeth---the
ordinary vet "floating" did not address a developing malocclusion.
Basically, she wasn't able to grind her hay fully, hence couldn't get
all the nutrition out of it.  What was coming out was poorly-formed wads
of half-ground hay, in brown water.

The vet (same one as had been floating her teeth) said Nansy's stomach
was inflamed, and to switch her to grass hay pellets.  The diarrhea
stopped within a day, and within a week of starting this essentially
pre-chewed hay, she was making real horse biscuits for the first time
(at that point, I'd had her for 12 years!)  A visit to a real equine
dentist was an eye-opener.  Nansy's teeth were too far gone for the
dentist to do much but enable her to crunch her pellets comfortably,
so that's what she ate for the rest of her life.  In California, I got
oat hay pellets; here in Oregon, it was ryegrass hay pellets.  You
might try adding some hay pellets to Patrick's ration, and see what
effect that has.  Dental problems are easier to fix when they're mild
and the horse is young enough to have long enough teeth to grind away
the problem.

Panacur does not kill tapeworms, which can "contribute to digestive
problems".  To get rid of tapes, you need something like Zimecterin
Gold, which contains praziquantel.  According to a paper (results used
in an ad), the incidence of tapeworms (percentage of horses with
antibodies indicating they've had them at some point) in your region
is about 62%!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon