This message is from: "jerrell friz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

After reading the comment by  Janet  ,,,,,

re: anemia, in sheep anemia is usually associated with a heavy parasite
load, and this can occur even in sheep on a good deworming program. How
about blood sucking parasites in horses? can this be a problem?
And seeing so many  ideas, etc., just had to  put my two cents worth in.
I have been on this list for 3 or 4 years and have yet to see much on
parasites,  especially tapeworms.  There is a lot of new research  about the
tapeworm.  I would bet that if a poll were taken that  90 percent of the folks
on this list have never wormed for tapes!!  One of the things that parasites do
is cause an unbalance in the system. So, a horse than will try to make up the
difference by eating anything that might help him, wood, dirt, manure, etc.  A
CD disc is available from Pfizer, called the " parasite puzzle"  I got mine
from my local feed store, but you can get it on line.

One of the first questions that a vet will ask you is , " what is your parasite
program?"   and if you are not willing to talk about it or refuse to learn more
 about it,, the vet. can only treat what is going on.  Might be colic, anemia,
and a whole list of other problems.,,,, Vets. learn in school ,,,if they want
to have a good business ,they have to go along with the client,  if they don't,
the client will go down the street and get what they want.  So, we as horse
people are real experts. right !  We do the beet pulp, bran, red cell, complete
feeds,  etc., etc., and we still are not fixing the real  problem.  Some time
back I mentioned this on the list, and I received only 1 comment.  I don't
claim to be an expert, I'm still learning and listening.  My horses are the
best teachers,

Salt blocks,,,,,  I have loose salt, [Dynamite] and the 50 # blocks,, white
,trace mineral,  sulfur,  selenium,   some days they won't touch any of them,
but the most licked ones [ in order]are probably the sel., tm,.sul., white,
rarely do they go for the loose salt.   But, I have seen horses chew salt
blocks.   I don't like feeding the salt blocks because of all the junk that is
in them,, binders,fillers, etc.   However, it gives them something to occupy
their time with.  Salt blocks ,are made for cows with a course tongue.   If a
horse were to eat a whole block of say selenium in a few days I doubt if it
would do anything. There is not enough sel. in it..  My daughters vet. had her
horse on Dynamite sel. for a year ,[ double dose] and there was very little
change.  We did several blood tests thinking that he would get to much sel.
Over a year, there was only a small change.    You can do a search online about
selenium, and the one that I saw showed the whole US deficien!
 t, except for the Rocky Mt. area.

Since ,,I  dewormed using the tapeworm wormer,,Equimax,, my horses are so much
easier to work with, they no longer have to deal with internal pain, and me on
the outside.  Self-carriage is soooo much easier to get.. It does take awhile
after you worm, as there might be a lot of tissue damage [ulcers] which will
have to regenerate.   I'm also deworming every other month with Dynamite,
herbal tonic...  and the herbal tonic works good on our dogs and cats.  At this
time I will use the Equimax once a year, in the fall, as it is good for bots,
which have been bad the last week or so.   But, here again I remain open
minded,

Now I'm off to the biggest cde on the West Coast, the Ca. Classic.  Friday, I
will be volunteering, and doing  the safety check before the dressage. I will
get to talk to a lot of good drivers.   And,,, the wine, this is in the middle
of a giant vineyard....Forest Glen,  oh ,,I can taste it now.

Regards,
Jerry Friz,
Anderson, Ca

every farm needs a "team"