This message is from: "Janne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

All this discussion of type is quite interesting.   Often on this list I hear
people mention the type(s) that Norway is currently breeding and placing high
in Norfjordeid.  Since I grew up in Norway, training horses my whole life, and
still being a norwegian citizen, I figured I could write the following.

I know fjords came from Norway, and I greatly respect many of the people of
the past and current who spend their time preserving the great fjord horse in
this wonderful country!! I have spoken with several!   But reality in an
economic sense is that as far as the past 50 - 100 years, the fjord is the
least expensive horse one can buy in Norway, as its' popularity with the
norwegians has not been, nor is very high.  ( it is growing a bit now).  So,
when this reality hits, one has to make some money raising horses, especially
in a smaller land.  Then a time back the  $$$$$ starts crossing the Atlantic
in search of fjords and people paid attention, even the government of Norway
picked up on the fact that here we may have some export opportunities.
Demand and supply!!   And the demand has slowly been more for the riding type
perfomer of a horse than the work/harness type.  So, tho we highly respect the
norwegians, isn't it possible that some of the breeding bends to the demand of
the buyer.  Makes sense to me.  And so, if one looks back at the last decades
of shows in Norway, it seems the type is changing.  Some of the mares and
stallions that have placed high are def. loosing some of the same definitions
of body that occurred before.

Demand and supply!!  Reality of life!

Not blaming anyone here, just facts, I think!   And tho it seems the world
complaints highly about the US ( most do not!!), the same ones love the $$$$$.
I know, - been there, seen it!

Now chew me up!

Janne