This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 7/26/2004 11:06:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
So, I bumped with the spurs and she stopped dead, turned her head and gave
me one of those "you're joking right?" looks. I took the spurs off and tied
them to the back of Dad's saddle, No Problem!!

** Amy, that is hilarious! I can picture you hanging off of Taffy's butt,
spur-clad feet still in the stirrups ;-D

I find that visual stimuli is much more effective. I've been practicing
moving the forehand from the ground with driving pressure ala Parelli and
that's
going really well. From the saddle, if I raise my arm or spin the end of the
split rein, I get a whole lot more energy than I would with spurs. I think
that's
the logic behind carrot-stick riding where the horse is steered by the visual
cue of the stick in combination with leg pressure. I think the Fjord really
have to be conditioned to move away from pressure, 'cuz it's sure not their
natural response ;-)

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson