This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Was wondering if anyone has made new discoveries about the real history of
the Fjord horse? I so enjoyed having Anneli on the list, as she was such a
great
authority on Scandinavian history and archeology. I used what I learned from
her to do the write-up on the "Why Fjords?" page of my web site. No mention of
Vikings ;-)

I have a neat book that Dagrun gave me called "Norwegian Folk Tales" by Peter
Christian Asbjoernsen and Joergen Moe. The tales, collected in the 1800's,
contain some hints about ancient horses. Most notably, the horse in one tale is
described as having "a hanging mane." Seems to me that if a hanging mane is
mentioned, an upright mane is the norm. Another story describes a boorish man
who thinks he can force a girl to marry him; she tricks him into marrying "a
little white mare" instead. The little white mare looks very Fjordy in the
illustrations, but I don't know if the pictures are as old as the stories or if
they
are a more modern artist's interpretation.

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA