This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A (MED)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well about a year ago I mentioned foals with contracted tendons/ knuckled
over, etc.. problem we had with one of our mares.  Several ideas came in as
a few others had seen or had foals with the same issue. I saw the exact same
condition on the web site for Nova Scotia's Farm, if anybody is wondering
what it looks like.  Anyhow, mare over weight and poor nutrition were a
couple.  These were the two we worked on.

This mare had 3 foals that were fine, then the last 3 all had contracted
tendons.  Soooo, I asked the group.  My wife and I decided to give mare
supplement we got at farm and fleet, comes with a small scoop, about 2
teaspoons per scoop.  We would give 1 scoop of that per day in about a 1 cup
of John Lyons Mare Feed, with about a quarter cup sweet 12 feed. So just
under 1 1/2 cup feed per day.  We fed about 1/8 bale grass hay morning, 1/8
bale same at night.  Horses looked good and fit thru the winter.

Today she had a healthy boy, no contracted tendons,  running around,
nursing, kicking up the heals.

On a sad note,, we are moving to Montana and about a month ago we decided to
take the 2 bred mares out to Montana before the foals were born so that they
wouldn't have to endure the trip when we move,,, so,  my wife's mom is the
midwife/ step mom and we haven't seen the foal yet.. Well sad we haven't
seen the foal, not sad were moving to Montana.

My wife says the foal is healthy because it was born in Montana.... I guess
whatever the reason,, Grandma is happy too, she has been into sheep and beef
cattle for over 50 years, this is the first pony/horsey foal she has
experienced.  We told her what to do for imprinting, initial halter training
etc, now she's all worried she won't do things right.  She'll do good.

Mark