This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello, Karen -

"...Hoof branding is impermanent, lasting only until the hoof grows out
(usually about a year).  However, it does allow identification of the horse
without
imposing a permanent mark or scar...."

Yes, that's what I've heard (6 mth or so) - not permanent as the hoof, of
course, will out grow it eventually.  So would need to be redone in time.  And
done by a pro (or someone who *really* knows what they are doing) - so as not
brand too deep into the hoof wall (into the sensitive white line.)  I went to
farrier school for a bit - and have found what I learned very helpful!
;-)      Would not dream of trying to do on my own - would have my farrier
(very good pro) do it for me.

Also - I have heard that  many police patrol can not read most brands (no
clue what they "say" specifically) -- so it's been reccommended to me that a
zip
code (widely recognized!) for the hoof brand in 1/2" letters would be ideal.
So far - am leaning towards this.

"...Also, Sher, I have the grooming video from NFHR.  If you want to borrow
it, contact me..."

Thanks, much!  Cheryl was very kind and loaned me her's.  She invited me down
to watch mane trimming and loaned her copy.  Which I devoured promptly (big
grin!)   Cheryl showed my a thin and a bushy mane trim with electric clippers -
I think that will be the best way, for me, for trimming manes (better chance
of myself doing a better job!)  The folks who produced the video did a good
job - I think for folks who can not see a mane trimmed in person, this is a
wonderful help!

Sher in CO