This message is from: "Janet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

a few suggestions are:

try a round skirted western saddle with full quarter horse bars.  the
greater surface area will help.  I have found english style saddles very
hard to keep on round horses.

use a breast collar (the Y type) and crupper.

put the horse on a diet.  Most of the fjords I've met to date are horribly
overweight, and I'm not talking well muscled, they were FAT.

I met a saddle maker at the MN horse expo who makes a saddle/rigging for
heavier riders and round horses their contact info is Montana Pack and
Saddlery 406 756 8999 or www.montanasaddle.com  they use a double cinch
designed to hold pack saddles on their double rigged saddles.

Good balance may be enough if you are riding in a flat arena, but good
balance won't hold the saddle in place on a rough trail, or when a horse
shies sideways.   I will never again ride in a saddle that will slip, it is
too dangerous.

Janet