This message is from: ulli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello All,
   I'm in desparate need of some advice.  For the past month my vet and
I have been both having problems with my saddle slipping sideways on my
classic barrel-shaped mare.  I'm using a wide tree (38cm) all purpose
saddle which seems to fit her well.  After searching the archives, I
tried the Professional Choice girth, per Gayle W's suggestion.  I also
use one of those "non-slip" rubber pads you put under throw rugs. These
have helped, but the sideways slipping is still really dangerous.  I
know it's not just me because my vet is an excellent 3-day event rider,
skinny and *way* more fit than I am, and she's having problems. My vet
has been cranking up the girth, which I hate to do.  And that doesn't
solve the problem.  Yikes, we haven't cantered my mare yet, 'cause
trotting is still such a challenge.

    Any suggestions?
(PS sorry if this is a repeat - I tried to post twice before and didn't
see my message).

Eileen and 'Jane', the beautiful barrel with legs

Hello Eileen,

Does the saddle always slip to the same side all the time (ie off to the right?) & does it happen when you ride without your stirrups (crossing them over the saddle)?

Maybe your horse isn't flexible/bending yet? Riding in a tight space in the same direction all the time, horses seem to have a favored direction that they are more flexible in, maybe both of you aren't quite balanced/flexible yet?

A couple of things, have you tried riding bareback until you get your balance (in case it's a balance issue)? I hadn't ridden for 20 years (yikes!) & started on my chubby mare bareback until I got my natural relaxed balance back. We both needed the gentle conditioning <grin> & bareback trot did the trick. (that's just in case you don't have relaxed balance on the horse yet). Another great way to get balance is to work on the lunge with a helper & work on walk, trot & eventually canter with no reins (just side reins) & (again, eventually), with no stirrups (cross them over). If you do that every day for a few minutes, you will develop a better seat (& posting with no stirrups is a great work out!) - of course this isn't a good idea if the saddle still slips even when you aren't using stirrups.

The other thing, maybe the saddle is too far forward, try moving it back to set just behind her withers. I have a close contact crosby & a passier dressage saddle & both will slip no matter how tight I do the girth if it's too far forward on one of my larger girls. Does the saddle actually fit your horse? Maybe it's too big?

I'm no expert, but I had this problem to a lesser degree when I first started working with some of my fjords several years ago.

cheers!

catherine