This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Julie Z. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I just bought my first Fjord and no nothing about them.  I live in Texas,
> [...]  I come from a hunter/jumper
> background and have worked with Thoroughbred race horses as well.
> [...]  I've purchased the Fjord mare for my grand
> children to ride.  She's 6 years old and seems to do a little of
> everything, jump, play day events, cart, trial ride, etc. [...]
> I'll be bringing her home to a lush coastal bermuda
> pasture and she is coming out of a sand lot with a some weeds and very
> little grass.  It is my understanding that ponies founder more often than
> big horses.  I've always graduated my horses onto the pasture over a few
> weeks, leaving them out a little longer each day.  My farrier said he would
> never leave a pony on pasture full time because of founder

First of all, welcome to the world of Fjords---both real and virtual.  ;-)

Your farrier is a wise man!  Fjords are felt by some to be "the
largest of the pony breeds".  While there are those who prefer to call
them horses, most Fjords seem to have the pony metabolism---save ALL
spare calories for later, in the form of fat.  This can set them up
for founder.  IMHO, a Fjord should be managed like any other "fuel
efficient" breed (e.g. Morgan, pony, donkey, mule)---limited
quantities of low-calorie food.

The fact that the mare is now on a sand lot tells me that her current
owners have probably had trouble keeping her weight down.  The fact
that you describe your pastures as lush raises red flags for me!  If
this were a horse that you were riding hard, multiple hours per day,
maybe you could get away with pasturing her.  If she's going to stand
around and only be ridden for a few minutes per month by the
grandkids, pasture is likely to cause a problem.

Here in Oregon, my pastures are entirely too green and lush most of
the year.  My Fjord geldings (and donkey) are kept in corrals and fed
grass hay at about 1% of body weight per day.  They get pasture access
for 1.5 to 2 hours per day---no grain, and only a handful of alfalfa
pellets to go with their vitamin/mineral supplement (this area is
deficient in selenium, so supplements are needed).

One thing that some folks have tried is using a grazing muzzle.  Note
that Fjords are quite intelligent, hence capable of "problem solving".
They're good at removing muzzles, opening gates, "bulldozing" fences,
and generally doing the unexpected---particularly if there is food to
be had!  (My gelding has taught me a great deal about how NOT to build
fences.  Electric fencing is good!)

Enjoy her!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon