This message is from: "Julie Z. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

HI All,
I just bought my first Fjord and no nothing about them.  I live in Texas,
one hour North of Ft. Worth, next to the LBJ National Grasslands and trail
riding is my horse activity these days.  I come from a hunter/jumper
background and have worked with Thoroughbred race horses as well.
Presently, my main mount is a 4 year old Percheron/TB cross mare.  She
16'2" hands and still growing.  We also have a 21 year old Quarter
horse,gelding, Doc Bar top and bottom.  An Overo Paint mare, Scribbles
bred, 20 year old and retired and a 6 year old Le Santo bred Holsteiner
German Sport horse gelding.  I've purchased the Fjord mare for my grand
children to ride.  She's 6 years old and seems to do a little of
everything, jump, play day events, cart, trial ride, etc.  If she passes
her vet check tomorrow I'll be bringing her home to a lush coastal bermuda
pasture and she is coming out of a sand lot with a some weeds and very
little grass.  It is my understanding that ponies founder more often than
big horses.  I've always graduated my horses onto the pasture over a few
weeks, leaving them out a little longer each day.  My farrier said he would
never leave a pony on pasture full time because of founder so I am asking
for information on how Fjord's do in regards to founder....are they overly
sensitive or is founder relatively unheard of in this breed?  All input is
greatly appreciated.  I'd also like to know if there are any things unique
to the breed in regards to nutritional needs.
Thanks,
Julie