This message is from: "vz/bossmare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Last fall I donated two Fjord mares to the local handicapped riding center.
During the fall and winter both mares adapted well and the staff was pleased
with them.  One mare in particular was very steady for the riders who had
little control over their movements.  During one session I saw this mare being
pummeled by the rider but she didn't appear to turn a hair, or an ear, much
less show any upset or disobedience about what was happening on her back.

Now that it is spring the staff at the facility is having some problems with
her with spooking, being jumpy in general and pushy in the sense of getting
her own way.  Manners on the ground are still good but this misbehavior comes
about when she is ridden by the handicapped clients so is obviously a problem
as to her usefulness in the program.  She is 14 years old.

I'm asking those of you familiar with using horses in therapy programs whether
this is a springtime thing or do therapy horses have their ups and downs in
behavior and possibly burn out from what they are doing.  I would tend to
think that since the work is less demanding than many other types of equine
exercise and the handling is consistent that these horses would tend to become
more dependable instead of less.  The other mare I donated is doing extremely
well and the facility has three other Fjords as well so they are familiar with
the temperament.

Lois in green NJ where our holsteins are chasing the geese and have their own
springtime gremlins.