This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 3/31/04 6:59:00 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Today I had someone on another e-list say to get off
Foal-lac and feed another brand (buckeye, land-o-lakes
or blue seal?) because many people's foals have
developed ulcers on Foal-lac.  Has anyone else heard
of this?  Does anyone else have experience with using
Foal-lac?
I fed goats milk to the orphan I raised, I leased a couple of goats and
milked and also purchased goats milk. I did not let the foal suckle on the
goat,
allowing as large of an animal to do that can cause mastitis in the doe. I fed
every 90 minutes for the first 2 weeks and then every 2 hours for the next
month at 6 weeks I fed every 3 hours and at 3 months every 4 hours. At 2 months
added in Foal Lac but I added twice the amount of water to start with, as all
the research I had done said that Foal Lac would cause diarrhea. I cut the
amount of water as time went on but never did give it full strength. Keswick
never had diarrhea. I did use the Foal Lac pellets when he was around 4 months.
found he didn't eat hay and grain as quickly as normal foals. I weaned him at
5 months and he has done well. He is 14 hands the same size as his sire and
dam.
Keswick never had problems with ulcers. I think it is hard on these babies
not having a mom and if they are on their own most of the time it adds to their
stress. I fed often because if mom had been there he would have nursed her
even more often and I felt he needed me to be there, he had a mare in the stall
next to him but she is not in the least maternal. The main problem with Kez was
that after 5 months of being with people he thought he was people so I then
sent him to Starfire Farm in Colorado to run for a year with their foals. He
did well there and learned horse language and how to be a horse not a people.
Sue

Sue Clark-Sorger
Crown Oak Fjords
Sandia Park NM