This message is from: Starfirefarm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ruth bushnell wrote:

> When I resisted the comments of Carol's in regards upgrading standards in the
> west, it seems I "kicked the sacred cow" (metaphorically speaking of an
> ideology of course, giggle). I have also heard the Jensen's repeatedly declare
> their intentions of raising standards. To me, that meant change for additional
> constraints and I would hate to see this happen. (Carol did specifically
> mention Libby in her post you will recall).

One of the things that I think is so magic about the Libby show is that the
orgainzers keep in mind the fact that this breed does attract so many novices
and
includes "fun" classes and novice classes in the program, both in riding and
driving, therefore including the people new to the breed and showing.  Yet,
there
is also room for the folks who show in "open" competition to strut their stuff.
The opportunity to have knowledgeable and experienced people at the show gives
novices who are new to showing an opportunity to see what it can really be
about,
hence, giving them an opportunity to make choices about which direction they'd
like to take their horses/showing skills (or whether to show at all.)

The first year I drove at Libby, I was a novice to drivng and remember borrowing
an apron from Jerry Frizz (who was very gracious and loaned me this beautiful
wool
apron......thank you again Jerry.)  I didn't know, at the time, that an apron
was
considered a part of the accepted turnout for the style of carriage I was
driving
and had been "tipped off" by a more experienced person.  That was my
introduction
to the idea of combined driving, and all of the tradition that goes with it (I'm
still learning. Driving, if you are interested, is steeped in rich history and
tradition.)

I'll never forget being at Libby our second (or third?) year and watching Brian
Jensen, Lou Thiesen and Pat Malloy driving their pairs all over the show
grounds.
Even while I was getting ready for my classes, the sound of those horses clip
clopping in rhythm up and down the road, and through the woods, always garnerd
my
attention.  I WANTED that!  I had never seen the type of harness that Lou's pair
was wearing (Hungarian style breast collar, marathon harness) and I took
numerous
photographs.  The idea of driving multiples, for me, was captivating and
invigorating.

At that time, little did I know that, a couple of years later, I would be part
of
an agreement between Brian, Jeff and Lisa Petersen and myself to each bring and
compete with a 4 in hand.  Pat Malloy had plans to join us as well, but was
unable
due to health issues.  The show organizers offered a class just for our four in
hands.  What a thrill that was!

My point, if it hasn't come through yet, is that Libby can be a starting point
for
just about anyone, and should still, as Ruthie believes, cater to the novice
horse
person.  I do think, however, that it's also important to offer classes for the
folks who enjoy participating at a "higher standard" (if you will.)  As a matter
of fact, no one has mentioned the lovely Western outfits that some of the
younger
girls have worn while competing in Western Pleasure, Stock Seat, etc., fancy
(but
tasteful) matching hats, chaps and shirts, complimenting the color of their
fjords.  They usually beat the pants off of everyone, but not because of their
dress (though, when seeing them first enter the ring, I'm sure the judges say to
themselves, "now there's someone who knows what they're doing") it's usually
because their horses very well schooled and put on a good performance,
therefore,
the outfits seem somehow appropriate.

I DO think that raising the standards should include, first and foremost, the
aspect of safety.  The show committe, as well as the experienced drivers out
there, should be knowledgeable of, and should keep their eyes out for, the
novice
drivers (ANY drivers really) who may be improperly hitched, and give them a hand
to put together a safe hitch. Here is where some adherence to rules, such as ADS
rules and guidelines regarding accepted equipment, can be of service to the
organizers.  It can also help in the case of liability, should  (heaven forbid)
an
accident occur.

> Why not make Fjord shows more user friendly and all inclusive, why not also
> promote the "country" Fjord; the working class Fjord?

I think they did this with the Morgans, creating a "country pleasure" driving
class to offset the fancier "pleasure driving" with the high stepping park
horses.  With respect to the fjord driving classes, I think that the more
experienced drivers need to keep in mind that there are going to be less
experienced drivers in the same class, and should expect it to be a learning
experience for those less experienced, therefore be more tolerant of them, while
they are showing in their classes.

> I just now thought of an idea... you know how entering college freshman are
> often assigned a veteran student for orientation, to show them the ropes...
> wouldn't it be nice if this could be done at Fjord shows? Show the
> novice/beginner around, share a few tips, etc. I like it! =))

I think this is a great idea.  My experience in the driving world has been that
people are eager to include new enthusiasts, therefore are generally very eager
help.  I've experienced and witnessed this kind of helpfulness at some of the
fjord shows, but think it might be a good idea to have some kind of "formal"
offering?  Maybe in the form of a clinic, then mentoring, prior to the show?
Something to think about.

> Sheeesh! Little did I realize when I threw in that part about how I'd like to
> see the lap robe thrown out the window, that I must have been speaking about a
> security blanket! =))

Too funny!  I had a good chuckle, this moring, with that one!  Inserting thumb
in
mouth.  ;-)

Beth

--