This message is from: "jgayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ruthie, Last year I made my trip back to Europe after five years.  When I
had gone the previous time I had felt "a bit over dressed" and had received
some aside remarks about my tent type white rain coat. I thought the coat
was fantastic and had added a six foot hand painted Italian silk scarf to
complete the look!!

This time I toned down a bit and wore a dark blue suede long coat, dark blue
lovely two piece suit all with matching shoes etc.  I even wore gloves which
frightened the security police into asking me why? They said here in America
we do not wear gloves.  I was wearing them for cleanliness and to hide my
jewelry! Plus I am old fashioned and believe in looking my best wherever I
go.

I stood out like a sore thumb, but a proud one. So, this is a reversal of
the chat going on as I was to my intent and purpose "well turned out." I
suppose we must do it as the crowd we are in does it.  I will never get used
to that esp in these casual days.  So, if we want to join the group we
better do as the group does or choose another group?   Jean G.

Jean Walters Gayle
Aberdeen, WA
Author:The Colonel's Daughter
Occupied Germany 1946-49