This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Everyone-

I am just glowing with pride (or maybe it's sunburn!) after watching Dagrun
Aarsten and Bo-Fjords Cloudy aka Quinn compete today. For those of you who
don't know Dagrun, she is one dedicated hardworking gal. She goes to the barn
every night after a long day at work, usually at 7 or 8 PM. She trains her 3
horses, making sure they all get attention and schooling. She achieves amazing
results using only positive reinforcement. The result is 3 horses who can't
wait
to "come out and play." Now I'm a morning person, so I usually see Dagrun on
weekends when she, well, goes to the barn! Good thing we have each other for
friends because as you can see, we don't spend a lot of time socializing ;-)

Quinn has been in training for a combined schooling show in Woodside, CA at
The Horse Park. Thanks to Dagrun, he has become a soft, supple, obedient yet
spunky horse. He will jump anything and do dressage too! Last night I hauled
Quinn and his barn mate Bob the huge Thoroughbred to The Horse Park. Dagrun
planned to ride Bob in a beginner class for his owner. This morning, they got
off
to a rocky start. Bob, who has been doing well in dressage training, flipped
his lid. Thanks to a misunderstanding between Dagrun and Bob's groom Barbara (I
slept in and arrived later for the Fjord part!), they had all of 5 minutes to
warm up. Bob entered the arena sideways, lifted his head up in the air, and
ran backwards. They blundered through the test, barely completing it. Not one
feel defeated, Dagrun then warmed up Bob for the jumping class and proceeded
to do a great-looking clear round!

Then it was Quinn's turn to shine. I sat with Fjord owners Cindy & Cesar
Vallecillo and Tinn's potential new owner Robert. You could have heard a pin
drop
as the dressage test began. As I watched them flow through the movements, I
thought of the many nights of practice -- getting leads right, getting cadence
at the trot, suppling, transitions -- all that work leading up to these few
minutes of performance. It was near perfect. Quinn was 100% obedient, even
halting perfectly square, something which did not usually happen at home. We
cheered
and cheered. Many people approached us and said they were awed, that (if they
had seen a Fjord before) they had never seen such a well trained animal. We
were in heaven. Imagine our surprise when the score was posted -- it was quite
low, the many comments all negative. They were ranked 12 out of 16. I was
hopping mad. How could Quinn score 10% less than he did 6 months ago with a
different judge, when he was not nearly as well schooled? Dagrun, being a
better
sport than I, said that most of the comments were true to some extent. However,
we did agree that the scoring was unusually harsh, especially for a
beginner-novice class at a schooling show. I felt that breedism was in effect,
and this
theory was supported by the unbelievable fact that Bob the Thoroughbred's
dressage test, an embarrassing disaster, was scored only 3 points lower than
Quinn's flawless performance.

After a long wait in the hot sun, it was time for jumping. It was stadium and
cross country in one, including logs and a ditch. We watched with interest
as, one by one, the big fancy horses with their high dressage scores fell
apart.
They resisted, refused, ran out, spooked, and galloped out of control. Four
riders fell and were eliminated. Two scratched. The remaining ten lost many
points. Then it was Dagrun's turn.

The good thing about not going first is the ability to plan for trouble
spots. There were two big ones, a solid green wood jump where virtually every
horse
refused, and a sandy area in the cross-country part where horses slipped if
they were going too fast or turned too sharply. As Quinn cantered out to the
course, Barbara said, "I hope she'll be OK with that green jump." Without
hesitating I replied, "She won't have any problems." I finished the sentence in
my
mind, "Because Dagrun never fails. Dagrun never says I can't." Sure enough,
they sailed over the monster jump like they did it every day. Quinn stayed in a
balanced canter throughout, clearing all the jumps. Dagrun slowed him to a trot
and carefully negotiated the slippery area before returning to canter. We
cheered even louder than before -- clear round, shortest time, no penalties!
Strangers who, minutes before, had said, "He's cuuuute! Can they jump?" were
clapping and cheering.

The great thing about this type of class is its objectivity. Any child who
knows the rules can keep score. Quinn's was the best. Thanks to that, he ended
up placing 3rd overall!!

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson