This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> how nice to have that herd come and want to communicate.  The
>> "unfriendly one" just turns his back or goes deaf.  Someone sure hurt
>> this boy.
>
>If he's been thru a lot of hands, he may just be waiting, to see if
>this latest turn of events is worth putting any emotional effort into
>a relationship.

My older gelding, Bjarne was very aloof when I first got him.  Orville
Unrau had reposssessed him and his team mate from an owner who had abused
them.  The team mate was not salvagable: Orville said "his brain was fried"
but old Bjarne seemed OK.. At least with Orville.  But he did have some
flashbacks with me especially in arenas.  It actually took several years
before he showed any affection, would come up to me, etc.  Now he is just a
big old teddy bear, looking for his loving, jealous of attention the others
get.  I have had him twelve years now.

These Fjords get homesick when moved to a new home, miss special buddys and
their people.  Ask Gail Russell how Gunther is reacting to being separated
from his darling Luisa since she had the foal. And how Luisa was depressed
when she first came, until Gail put Gunther in with her. These guys may be
very stoic, but they really are pretty sensitive.

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, where it is threatening to rain.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]