This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello list,

Just a note of encouragement to all of you out there who are in the
"throes" of trying to train your Fjords - with or without a trainer to
help you.  It CAN be done, it does work - these guys/gals ARE smart,
and, yes, they CAN do anything those "other" horses can do!  All it
takes is someone - you or a trainer - to find the key to how they think
and what works with them.  Last spring we started two three-year-old
geldings with the help of a friend who is a trainer.  Mind you, this
guy IS a local...but he IS good!  What he can do with a quarter horse,
paint, etc., is positively a revelation!  When we started our Fjords
last year he lost a lot of sleep trying to figure out how to "get
through to them".  They were not reacting to his method the way
"regular" horses do.  He finally figured out how to read them and how
we should "communicate" with them, we got their heads and ours together
- and then the fun began.  Fjords are not:  stubborn, unable to canter,
clumsy all the time, unable to "turn around".  Fjords are: "younger"
mentally than a quarter horse (for example) of the same age, also
"younger" physically, mentally willing, "thinkers", very strong
physically - you don't push them around.  Once you get the bare basics
down with a young Fjord he then needs "time under saddle" - don't push
him, let him grow up, insist on correct attitude and manners, keep him
light - LET HIM GROW!  Next year is coming - when it finally gets here,
you will be rewarded for your patience.  We certainly were!  We just
began seriously working with our "boys" (now four) again last week.
They have grown and filled out physically a great deal over the past
year.  And their MINDS have grown - their attitudes have matured -
there is still an occasional exuberant "buck" when first started out in
the roundpen after being in a stall all night, but that's to be
expected when a horse feels good (especially a four-year-old).  After
just a couple of days they are light on the bit, light in the sides, in
a word - responsive.  And with none of the silliness and jumpiness of
the other breeds.  Now that they have grown up to their bones and
framework they can do all kinds of manuevers with never a stumble,
their canters have improved greatly.  They are very definitely capable
of planting a hind foot and turning around it.  Now we must go slowly
again - teach each maneuver thoroughly and slowly so as not to put too
much strain on young tendons and joints - but it will be worth it.
These two horses won't be "worn out" in less than ten years, so we can
afford to take the time now.  They will remain sound and able into
their twenties - barring unforeseen accidents - so no need to hurry
now.  But it is soooo hard to be patient when you see what they are
capable of!

Take heart.  Find a trainer who truly loves ALL horses, and who loves
what he does. It also helps if the trainer is willing to keep on
learning and to modify his approach to fit each horse.  These Fjords do
not need to be coddled or catered to, they just need to be understood -
plus you must be firm with them.  They CAN do anything - and they will
- if you learn how to work with them.  Their hearts and physical
ability are great.  Have patience with their apparent "immaturity" -
they will grow up.

Our challenge now is for us as riders to gain the skills we need to
advance the horses to the next level.  Now THAT takes work!!  The older
we humans get, the harder it is to learn new tricks - especially when
the old ones need to be "unlearned" first!

Happy training.

Mary
===
Mary Thurman